If you are like me and have an abundance of produce from your garden during the growing season and you are thinking of ways to prepare them, making ratatouille is my go-to recipe.
It is a great way to prepare a dish to feed a crowd and include the bounty of summer, it is delicious served over rice or bread,
You can make a double batch and freeze the extra so you can enjoy the taste of summer later. Serve it with my, Garlic Bread, Turmeric Coconut Rice, and Vegan Gluten-Free Cake for a flavorful summer brunch or dinner.
Most of us remember Ratatouille from either Disney’s movie or the ratatouille recipe Julia Child bought to the world. However, it is usually seen as a very sophisticated dish that takes way too much time and effort to make. Well, it is true in a way.
Many of us picture the Ratatouille as a vibrant circular dish full of thinly sliced vegetables that are arranged in a perfect array meticulously. The dish undoubtedly delivers ultimate sophistication. But the thing is, that’s not the only Ratatouille you can make!
If you are a vegan, you will simply love this recipe. Why? Because it is so awesome on so many different levels. For one, it is made with vegetables. Furthermore, it is:
- Low calories
- Low carb
- Super healthy
And above all, it is super easy to make! If you don’t believe me, that alright. Once you get to know this ratatouille recipe, you will fall in love with it. I bet it is going to be your favorite dish instantly. Still wondering how? Read ahead to find out!
What is a ratatouille recipe?
Ratatouille is basically a classic French dish that is made with vegetables like eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions. The traditional ratatouille recipe is a bit complex and sophisticated and takes time and effort.
It is very satisfying and utterly delicious. However, if you are a busy person and don’t find yourself interested in long preparations or cooking time, it doesn’t mean you can’t make Ratatouille at home.
This recipe is unlike the ratatouille movie recipe, but it is super delicious and easy to make. It is made using the same ingredients but in a different form. So, instead of slicing up all vegetables, I dice them.
It is a more deconstructed form of the Disney ratatouille recipe, but it is very easy to make. In fact, it only takes 30 minutes to prepare this delicious dish. How cool is that!
What is in the ratatouille recipe?
This Ratatouille recipe is super simple and 100% vegan. It is made from simple ingredients and several seasonings that add flavor to the dish. Here is a breakdown of the ingredients that are used in this recipe.
The vegetables are the star of this recipe. I keep the traditional feel of this recipe alive by using all the vegetables that are used in the French way. These vegetables include:
- Eggplants: Eggplants are among the main vegetable that is used in this dish. These bring a unique texture to the dish. These not just add color but also an awesome flavor to the dish. I love eggplants, especially in Ratatouille, so for me, they bring the whole dish together.
- Zucchini: it is yet another main vegetable in the Ratatouille. It also adds a nice texture to the dish and binds every ingredient together.
- Bell pepper: Bell peppers make the dish vibrant and colorful. However, they don’t only contribute to the aesthetics of the dish but also add to the flavor.
- Yellow squash: Yellow squash again gives not just color but a distinct flavor to the dish. It makes the dish more filling and wholesome.
- Tomatoes: tomatoes give color to the gravy. They also bring in a tangy taste to the dish. Their presence brightens up the whole dish at so many levels.
I love fresh herbs. They not only add flavor but also make the dish so aromatic. The aroma alone makes your mouth salivate. For this easy ratatouille recipe, I use fresh sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Furthermore, I also add chopped basil leaves. I love its aroma and unique sweet flavor.
The best thing about this dish is that the only seasoning you require is salt. This dish uses the natural flavors of vegetables and herbs. As a result, the flavors are unmatched. Furthermore, I also add tomato paste to this dish. Tomato paste not only enhances the tomato flavor but also gives this dish a fresh red color that makes it look rich and mouthwatering.
Vegetable broth helps in cooking your vegetables to perfection. It also adds a nice flavor to the dish and is better than adding water to soften the vegetables.
How to make Ratatouille recipe?
Making the Ratatouille recipe might not be a piece of cake if you follow the traditional ratatouille recipe. However, my recipe is probably the best one out there. This easy ratatouille recipe required a few steps only.
All you have to do is gather the vegetable, dice or chop them up, and start cooking them in olive oil one at a time. I start by adding chopped onion and sauteing it for some time.
As the recipe progresses, I add more and more ingredients into it along with vegetables, i.e., garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, squash, zucchini, and eggplant, and seasonings that include fresh herbs. I cook the ingredients until they get tender, and that’s it. Yes, that’s it! The Vegan ratatouille is done and ready to serve. How simple and easy is that!
What to serve with ratatouille recipe?
This dish is quite versatile. So, you can serve it up with almost anything. for instance, I love to pair it up with boiled rice. However, you can also serve it alongside pasta. And if you are looking for a healthier option, serve it with quinoa. It will pair up with almost any dish and taste just as amazing.
You can serve this delicious dish with boiled rice.
Try this vegan ratatouille recipe today and indulge in the unique and heartwarming flavors. This dish is not only a perfectly healthy option but is also utterly delicious. Serve this recipe at your next friends or family gathering and impress them with your culinary skills.
Don’t forget to thank me later! Enjoy
Tips for perfect Ratatouille
To make the perfect and most tasteful Ratatouille, here are a few tips you need to follow:
- Firstly, it is important that you keep dice the eggplant, sprinkle sea salt on top, and leave it in a colander for about 20 minutes. This helps in getting rid of excess water from the vegetable. Furthermore, it is also good for its flavor. As with water, the bitter flavor is also balanced.
- If you don’t have fresh herbs available, you can use dried herbs instead as well.
- You can freeze this dish for up to 3 months. So, as you want to eat it, you can take it out of the freezer, thaw it and reheat it in a saucepan or skillet. It is a super easy and convenient dish for someone who is busy and doesn’t have time to cook a new dish every time.
Other Delicious Vegan Stews To Try
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 93 kcal / 389 kJ
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 10 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- 8 Servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a colander, sprinkle sea salt and set it aside for about 20 minutes. This way, the excess water will be drained from the eggplant.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add chopped onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they turn translucent.
- Add garlic and continue to stir for a minute.
- Next, add red and orange bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, eggplants, thyme, basil, oregano, tomato paste, rosemary, vegetable broth and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables start the water is released from the vegetables.
- Place the lid on the saucepan and let it cook on low heat for about 10 more minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt.