This Vegan Jamaican Curry Tripe and Beans recipe is made from tofu skin and butter beans reminiscent of Jamaican Tripe and Beans, a dish I enjoyed many years ago before I became a vegan. It is vegan and gluten-free.
You may be wondering, what are tofu skins? Tofu skin (also known as bean curd skin or yuba) is the skin that is formed while soymilk is being heated, which is collected and is then available fresh or dried in sheets or sticks. The skins are used as a great alternative to meat dishes in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. They are rich in protein, iron, and calcium.
The tofu skin adds a great chewy texture, while the butter beans lend a creamy buttery taste to this great dish.
Tofu Skins can be found in most Asian supermarkets or Online. To make this Vegan Jamaican Curried Tripe and Beans recipe, I presoaked the tofu skin in warm water in a large bowl for 10 minutes. I then cut the soaked tofu skins into 1-inch pieces and discard the liquid. In a large pot, I saute the vegetables then add the seasonings, coconut milk, beans, tofu skins and cook until sauce thickens. This dish is perfect for a potluck or a large gathering. It is delicious served with a salad and rice or quinoa.
My version is way faster to cook than traditional version, I remember my mom cooking this dish for several hours in order for the tripe to get tender!
I have lots of fun ‘veganizing’ traditional Jamaican dishes, you can check out some of my favorites:
- Jamaican Stewed Peas With Dumplings
- Jamaican Spicy Potato Curry
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Jamaican Pumpkin Soup (Pureed)
- Jamaican Banana Fritters
- Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding
- Jamaican Gungo Peas Soup
- Jamaican Vegan Rundown Recipe
- Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge Bowl
- Vegan Ackee
- 1 package dried tofu skins
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 can butter beans
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or 6 berries, (optional)
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper for flavor, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Soak tofu skin in warm water completely immersed for 10 minutes. Discard water and cut tofu skin into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high, saute onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, spring onion, thyme, curry powder and cook for a minute stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, butter beans and soaked tofu skins stirring to coat.
- Add water, coconut milk, allspice and Scotch Bonnet Pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add salt and check seasoning. Delicious served with rice and salad.