I had fresh blackberries that I bought recently, they were so sweet and juicy so I decided to prepare this blackberry cake which turned out exactly how I envisioned it. Fluffy and light and beautiful reminds me of my Strawberry Breakfast Cake and my Banana Upside Down Cake.
This blackberry cake recipe is definitely a keeper, it was gone in minutes, my family enjoyed it so much and they couldn't get enough. I can't wait to make this recipe again. Next time I plan to serve it with coconut whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream. It is so flavorful, I know it will become your favorite as well.
To prepare this blackberry coffee cake, I toss 2 tablespoons of sugar with blackberries and put aside while I prepare the remaining cake. I melt vegan butter and pour in the base of a 9x13 pan. I used Earth Balance non-dairy spread.
Next, I prepared the cake batter by mixing almond milk, ground flaxseeds, vanilla in a large bowl. Next, I add gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and mix well. I then pour the cake batter over the melted butter and spread to cover the base of the pan. Finally, I scattered the blackberries on top of the batter and bake in a preheated oven.
For the gluten-free flour, I used Pillsbury Gluten-Free Flour.
- 1 kcal / 4 kJ
- 1 g
- 2 g
- 1 g
- 10 min
- 40 min
- Ready in:
- 50 min
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup vegan butter melted, I used Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour, I used Pillsbury gluten-free flour, no substition
- 1/2 cup cane sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, (golden kind)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mix blackberries with 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside
- Preheat oven 375 degrees. Pour melted butter in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Mix almond milk, flaxseeds, vanilla in a large bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes, stir in gluten-free flour, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour batter over melted butter and spread. Spread blackberries over batter and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.