Watermelon is refreshing, sweet, juicy, and a perfect fruit to beat the heat of summers. You can enjoy it in a smoothie, salad, or finger food. Whatever you choose, this mighty fruit is delicious. Most people struggle with cutting the watermelon due to its large size. However, it is easy if you know the right way of doing so. Today ill show you a few different ways of cutting watermelons with ease.
What to look for when buying watermelons?
When buying watermelon from a grocery store or farmer’s market, you will have to keep a few things in mind. These are:
- Heaviness: Whether you are buying a small-sized watermelon or a large one, you have to keep an eye on its weight. The size is not as important as its weight is. The watermelon you choose should feel heavy for its size. More weight means more juice. It’s a simple formula.
- Color: The color of a perfect watermelon is bright and fresh green. So, avoid buying a watermelon that has yellow patches. Also, the skin should be matte. Shiny skinned watermelons are overripe. So, avoid those as well. Look for the ones that have non-shiny or matte skin.
- Bruises or patches: Any fruit that has busies or patches is bad fruit. The same goes for watermelon. So, avoid the ones that have yellow or brown patches on them or has bruises.
- Sound: When selecting a watermelon, knock on it by keeping your ear close to it. If you feel it produces a hollow noise, it means the watermelon is ripe and perfect for eating.
How to cut a watermelon?
Cutting watermelon is very easy. That’s only if you know the right way to do so. There are two main ways you can cut a watermelon. That depends upon whether you want to keep its rind or not. Here is how to cut a watermelon following simple and easy steps:
How to cut a watermelon without rind and in cubes?
Step 1: Wash the watermelon and pat it dry. Cut the watermelon in half and place the halved part on a cutting board. Make sure the cut part facing downwards.
Step 2: Using a sharp knife, start trimming the rinds, starting from the top all the way to the bottom. Repeat until the rind is removed.
Step 3: Cut the watermelon into about one or two-inch slices. Now stack each slice on top of each other and cut lengthwise. Now cut it through the other side so that you get cubes.
Step 4: Once done, place them in a bowl and enjoy.
Watermelon cut into cubes is ideal for adding into a salad or as a snack.
How to cut a watermelon with rinds or in wedges?
Step 1: Another amazing way to enjoy watermelon is by cutting it in edges with rinds on. For that, you will have to trim the top cap. Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise.
Step 2: Next, place the halved watermelon on the cutting board flat part facing downwards. Cut the watermelon in half.
Step 3: Slice the watermelon so that you get about one to one and a half-inch slices.
Step 4: Place the slices in a bowl and enjoy.
Watermelon cut into wedges is perfect for snacking.
How to cut a watermelon into balls?
One of the easiest and visually attractive ways of cutting a watermelon is in a sphere shape. You can enjoy these watermelon balls in salads, especially fruit salads. Here is how you can cut a watermelon to get these balls:
Step 1: Start by washing the watermelon and patting it dry. Trim the top cap.
Step 2: Now slice the watermelon in half lengthwise.
Step 3: Place the watermelon on a cutting board. Make sure the flat part faces towards you.
Step 4: To make the balls, you will need a small cookie scoop or a melon baller. Press the scoop against the watermelon flesh and rotate it, so you get the flesh in the form of a ball.
Step 5: Repeat the process until you have used up all of the watermelon flesh. Add the balls to your fruit salad and enjoy!
How to cut a watermelon in long wedges?
Another highly convenient way of cutting a watermelon is in long wedges. This is a perfect way if you want to enjoy watermelon without using along of bowls and plates. You can enjoy it by picking up the wedges and eating the fruit. Here is how you can cut the long wedges with rinds:
Step 1: Wash the watermelon and pat it dry. Cut the top cap.
Step 2: Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise.
Step 3: Place it on a cutting board flat side facing downwards.
Step 4: Cut it further in half-length wise.
Step 5: Now cut it further in half until you get 2-inch-thick wedges. Place them in a serving dish and enjoy.
Tips for cutting watermelon
Although cutting a watermelon is very easy, here are a few things you should keep in mind for quick and perfect results:
- Make sure you wash the watermelon to get rid of dirt and debris.
- Pat the watermelon dry before cutting it so that it is not slippery and doesn’t cause an accident.
- Make sure the knife you are using is very sharp. Because watermelon has a very hard rind, you will need a very sharp knife for easy cutting.
- Always remove the top cap of the watermelon before cutting it.
How to store watermelon cubes or wedges?
If you have leftover watermelon cubes or wedges, you can easily store them for later use. Place the leftover pieces in an airtight container, and store them in the refrigerator. They will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Furthermore, you can also place these in a bowl or plate and cover them with clingfilm. Also, you can store the whole halved watermelon in the refrigerator. Wrap it with clingfilm and place it in the refrigerator.
You can also store the leftover cubes or balls in the freezer. Frozen watermelon is a perfect ingredient for smoothies and slushes.
Also, Learn How To Cut:
- How To Cut An Avocado
- How To Cut A Papaya
- How To Eat A Mango
- How To Chop Green Onions
- How To Peel A Pineapple
If you enjoyed this post about How To Cut A Watermelon and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.