I love making garlic bread in air fryer, because it is the ultimate treat when it comes to eating pasta and soups. It is garlicky, savory, crunchy, and soft all at the same time. The crusty but soft bread as a base soaked in the goodness of butter, taste, and aromas of garlic and herbs and topped with cheese is heavenly and comforting. And when it comes to making it in an Air Fryer with that perfect toast and melted cheese, you will keep making it for every pasta and soup dinner, and even for snacking.
It is very easy and just requires 5 minutes of your time. No extra time, no long recipes, and complex techniques. It is straightforward and a wholesome way of making garlic bread at home with your preference and authentic ingredients.
Why Garlic Bread in Air Fryer?
Making garlic bread in a conventional oven is easy too but making it in an air fryer is fast. Because a conventional oven takes almost 10 to 15 minutes to preheat, I do prefer the quickness of the air fryer. You see, an air fryer just preheats in just a minute or two! It is a quick and super versatile appliance, especially for homemade garlic bread or even pre-made frozen garlic bread that you’ve saved from before. The cooking time is just 3 to 5 minutes.
Making garlic bread at home is just as easy as counting 1, 2, and 3. It just requires few ingredients that are readily available in your pantry and an air fryer.
- Garlic: Garlic is the basic ingredient for bread. It has a robust and savory flavor that goes perfectly with bread and butter.
- Texas Toast: Bread is the base of garlic bread that soaks in the flavor and butter. We are using Texas toast because it is thicker and sturdier than regular sandwich bread, while still being soft.
- Butter: Butter adds richness to the garlic bread. It is also a good carrier of flavor since it melts into the bread and helps it submerge into flavors.
- Salt: It enhances flavor and adds savory notes too.
- Herbs: It adds an element of freshness and a lot of aroma to the bread.
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese: It gives the bread taste and earthiness.
How to make Garlic Bread in Air Fryer?
Making garlic bread in an air fryer is easy. Following are the SIX steps to make garlic bread in the quickest way possible.
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer at 180 degrees Celsius.
Step 2: Mix the butter, garlic, and seasoning.
Step 3: Spread the butter on the sliced pieces of bread.
Step 4: Air fry the pieces of bread for 3 minutes.
Step 5: Add cheese and air fry for another 2 minutes,
Step 6: Serve hot.
How to store Garlic Bread?
Garlic bread is very easy to store especially at room temperature. Yes, you do not have to refrigerate garlic bread since it will dry out and stale the bread more quickly than at room temperature. We recommend 2 days of garlic bread sitting at room temperature is fine.
If you want to store it is for an extended time, then we recommend freezing it. You have already seen many frozen garlic bread options in the market as well. Just put the bread in the Ziplock bag and squeeze out the air without squishing the bread as much as you can. When you want to eat it, just pop the frozen garlic bread in the air fry or oven for 5 to 8 minutes. Make sure to preheat the air fryer or oven to 200 degrees Celsius before adding the bread.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ways to spicy up the traditional garlic bread to enhance its beautiful buttery garlicky flavor:
- Bread: You can also use any kind of bread like baguette, ciabatta, sourdough, or any Italian or French bread. All of them just taste amazing with garlic and butter. If you want to make your bread from the scratch, feel free to make it beforehand and use it.
- Garlic powder: if you are not a fan of raw garlic then garlic powder is a perfect substitute. It adds the same robust, and garlicky flavor to bread without any raw mouth feel.
- Pepper or chili flakes: Pepper or chili flakes will add a kick to the garlic bread. Just add a few pinches of any of the spices in the butter. You will notice the enhanced flavors in every bite with a pleasant kick to hotness.
- Fresh herbs: if you are out of dried herbs, try adding fresh parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, or chive finely chopped. Once they are air-fried with the bread, they will become dry and release the taste and aroma just like dried herbs.
- Cheese of choice: We all love have some cheese over garlic bread. You can also add some vegan shredded cheese on top for more melty goodness.
What to serve with Garlic Bread?
Garlic bread is so versatile on its own that it can be eaten as a main course side, snack, and as an appetizer too. Here are our favorite dishes that complement garlic bread or vice versa. They are indeed the best pairs.
- Pasta: Garlic bread and pasta is one of the ultimate combinations, hands down. From cream pasta to tomato-based pasta, garlic bread soaks up all flavor and lets you lose yourself in the deliciousness.
- Soups: Soup and garlic bread are yet again an ultimate pair. It does not matter if the soup is broth-based, tomato-based, or creamy, garlic bread lifts the taste of all.
- Stews: Garlic bread is a perfect vehicle for you to enjoy the combination of garlic flavor with the hearty stew.
- Salads: It is surprising, but you can add garlic bread pieces as croutons. It adds a unique flavor to the salad, but be sure to eat it before it gets soggy.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 406 kcal / 1697 kJ
- Fat: 23 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 44 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 7 min
- Ready in: 12 min
- In a bowl, mix the softened butter with salt, garlic, dried parsley, and dried Italian seasoning.
- Spread the butter mixture over the slices of bread with a knife.
- Place the slices on the air fryer sheet in a single layer and let it air fry at 400 degrees F. for 3 minutes.
- When the timer ends, check your garlic bread to see if they are toasted to your liking. If you want it but more toasted, you can toast for 2 minutes more.
- You can add vegan parmesan cheese and air fry for 2 more minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!