I was ready to take on the challenge this morning when Daevyd woke up and requested that we make brownies. I opened the pantry and was happy to find just enough Carob powder remaining to make a batch. He helped me to measure the ingredients and he couldn’t wait for them to bake.
I used a combination of oat flour and almond flour as the base. For sweetener, I used coconut sugar. I wanted to make a really moist brownie without using any carob chips. I prepared flax eggs with almond milk and then added coconut oil, vanilla, and almond extract. You could substitute it with applesauce.
I allowed to carob to cool slightly while in the pan, then top it with carob frosting. The frosting further made the carob brownies really moist.
The results were amazing and we all enjoyed it. These Gluten-Free Vegan Carob Brownies had the perfect balance of flavor!
You might be wondering what is Carob? To find the answer and more recipes check out Dr. Axe’s article:
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- For: 9 slices
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour, (I made my own)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup carob powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 350. Prepare an 8x8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Combine, almond milk, flax seeds, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract in a medium bowl. Sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together oat flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, carob powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir wet mixture with the dry ingredients and mix well. Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Meanwhile mix the frosting.
- Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan.
- Spread frosting on top of brownies and allow to completely cool before slicing. Enjoy!
- To prepare the frosting, add almond butter, maple syrup, carob powder, vanilla and almond extract to a food processor and process until smooth.