This warm bowl of sweet potato oatmeal with pecans and cranberries is the perfect comfort breakfast during the cold season. It is definitely a great way to start the day with ‘stick to your bones goodness’ that will keep you energized until lunch. After all, it is widely known that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, if you are tired of bland oatmeal then you are in for a treat. This sweet potato oatmeal taste like having dessert for breakfast. It tastes like eating sweet potato pie! I’m definitely in!
I made a creamy oatmeal with coconut milk and sweetened with maple syrup, then I prepared candied sweet potato cubes on the stove-top by cooking small cubes of sweet potatoes with maple syrup. I topped oatmeal with the candied sweet potatoes, pecans, and cranberries. Why not make this delicious breakfast for Thanksgiving followed by my Sweet Potato Souffle and Roasted Sweet Potato Broccoli Salad for dinner?
Oatmeal is high in fiber, it is a complex carbohydrate that gives you lots of sustained energy. It is especially beneficial for someone with diabetes. Oatmeal contains cholecystokinin, a hormone that suppresses appetite. So oatmeal is beneficial for someone wanting loose weight.
I only use gluten-free rolled oats. Brands that carry gluten-free rolled oats:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt, optional
- 1 tablespoon pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 cup sweet potato, peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple, syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch cinnamon, optional
- In a large saucepan, on medium-high, add water, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt. Bring to boil. Stir in rolled oats and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until thick.
- Place sweet potato cubes in a medium saucepan with water, maple syrup, coconut oil.
- Cover saucepan and bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Stir constantly and cook for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside
- To serve, ladle oatmeal in a bowl. Topped with candied sweet potato, pecans, and cranberries.