Enjoy this yummy Breakfast Banana Split for breakfast or even dessert. It is hearty and comforting! Creamy oatmeal topped with strawberries, blueberries, coconut flakes, and hemp seeds.
There are so many healthy breakfast options. We have oatmeal, fresh fruits, etc. But if you are looking for a wholesome and filling breakfast loaded with nutrients and energy to keep you going all day long, then this banana split recipe is a great choice.
Breakfast Banana Split was first published February, 2017
This recipe is made from three main components, i.e.:
- Cashew cream
The recipe may seem like a lot of work, but the truth is it is very simple. All you have to do is fill the banana with oatmeal and cashew cream. Top it with your favorite toppings and enjoy. It is a great recipe for breakfast and snacks. Plus, it is gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free, and healthy! You will have to try it to believe it!
Here is what you will need to make breakfast banana split:
- Bananas: The main ingredient for this breakfast recipe is bananas. You will need ripe bananas for this recipe. However, make sure they are not over-ripe. That’s because over-ripe bananas are soft and thus will break while you try to split them.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is among the most widely used ingredient for breakfast. It is rich in fiber and nutrients. Oatmeal is wholesome and very filling. When choosing oatmeal for this recipe, make sure you go for a gluten-free choice.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is vegan, creamy, and rich. You can use soy milk or almond milk instead of coconut milk as well.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup has caramel and toffee-like flavor along with sweetness. You can substitute it with any sweetener. Agave syrup or sugar-free substitute works just fine.
- Vanilla: It adds a unique flavor to the dish. However, you can skip it as well.
- Salt: A dash of salt works wonders and cuts through all the sweetness.
- Raw cashews: Cashews are a great ingredient to achieve creaminess. It is often used instead of heavy cream. Make sure you soak the cashews for about 6 hours before using them. That’s because soaked cashews result in a creamier paste after blending.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice adds acidity and cuts through the sweetness of the dish.
- Topping: You can top the split banana with a variety of toppings. For instance, you can go for freshly chopped strawberries, blueberries, dry toasted coconut flakes, hemp seeds, flax seeds, or even chocolate syrup.
How to make breakfast banana split?
You can make breakfast banana split effortlessly into three simple steps. Here are these:
Step 1: In the first step, you have to cook the oatmeal. For that, you’ll have to add oatmeal, maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt in a saucepan and cook it over medium heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes until it is cooked and the oatmeal is softened. Set it aside.
Step 2: The next step is about the cashew cream. For that, you will have to blend soaked cashews, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and lemon juice in a high-speed blender. You can add a splash of water as it will help in getting the consistency you require.
Step 3: Lastly, it is time to assemble the breakfast split bananas. Peel the bananas, split them in half lengthwise using a sharp knife. First, add oatmeal to the banana, followed by the prepared cashew cream. Lastly, top it with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Tips for making breakfast banana split
Here are a few tips that can help you get perfect results:
- Make sure the bananas you are using are not very soft. Otherwise, they won’t hold shape. You can also freeze bananas you enjoy a chilled dish.
- You can use any sweetener you like. Coconut sugar, organic cane sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, anything will work.
- The longer you soak cashews, the creamier the mixture will be if you soak them for less time. The mixture will be grainy.
Can you make breakfast banana split in advance?
Yes! The good thing about this breakfast dish is that you can prepare the components in advance and store them for later use. You can cook the oatmeal in advance and store it in an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Similarly, you can make the cashew cream in advance as well. Store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. In the morning, you simply have to peel and split the banana. Fill it with the premade oatmeal and cashew cream, and enjoy!
For more Oatmeal Recipes, check out my:
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 18 kcal / 75 kJ
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 5 min
- Ready in: 10 min
- For: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, (Gluten-free)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Pinch of salt
Cashew Cream Sauce
For The Oatmeal
- In a pot, add oatmeal, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Place the pot on medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to let it simmer for 7 minutes until the oatmeal is cooked and the consistency thick. Set aside.
For Cashew Cream
- Add soaked and drained cashews, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a high-speed blender jug.
- Blend until you get a smooth and creamy paste.
- Peel the banana and split it in half lengthwise using a sharp knife.
- Scoop cooked oatmeal in the middle on the banana. Pour the cashew cream on top.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, blueberries, coconut flakes, and hemp seeds.