Having a bowl of a warm and freshly cooked banana oatmeal recipe is a great way to add beneficial nutrients and fiber to your diet!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Studies have shown that eating whole grains (that contain high amounts of dietary fiber), like oats, reduces the risk of heart disease, colorectal cancer, and type 2 diabetes. It also helps with weight loss.
There are many ways to include oats in your diet if you don’t like to eat it plain. You can add it whole, or ground up into oat flour, in your cookies, muffins, scones, biscuits, bread or make granola. Try my Sweet Potato Oatmeal With Pecans And Cranberries or Banana Split Oatmeal.
Have you ever wondered about how rolled oats are processed and how they came about with the different kinds of oats? I recently bought steel cut oat groats (Irish or pinhead), which I had kept putting off buying because I thought it was difficult to prepare. Although it took around 30 minutes to prepare, after soaking overnight, it was worth the experience. I also wanted to add some to my oatmeal soap for its exfoliating properties.
Different types of oats:
1. Whole oat groats are harvested grains which have the inedible hulls removed, they take the longest to cook (45- 60 minutes).
2. Steel Cut Oats, also known as Irish or pinhead oats, are oat groats that are cut into 2 or 3 pieces using a sharp steel blade, allowing them to cook quicker than whole oat groats (around 20-40 minutes). Here are some benefits of steel-cut oats.
3. Scottish Oats are made using a stone to grind the whole groats in smaller pieces of different sizes when cooked it is believed to make a creamier porridge than steel-cut.
4. Rolled Oats or Old-Fashioned Oats are made by steaming whole oat groats, then rolling them into flakes and drying them. The flakes have a greater surface area and therefore cook a lot faster (around 10 minutes). They tend to have a chewier texture in baked goods.
5. Quick or Instant Oats are rolled oats that are pressed thinner than rolled oats. They cook even faster than rolled oats and are mushier than rolled oats. I tend to prefer rolled oats over quick oats and find that rolled oats can be used in place of quick oats in most recipes.
Is Oatmeal Gluten-Free?
Yes, it is gluten-free. Oatmeal doesn’t contain gluten, however, most commercial oatmeal is processed in plants that also process wheat, barley, and rye causing cross-contamination. Purchasing certified gluten-free oatmeal is best in this case.
There are some people who react negatively to the protein avenin found in oatmeal, the same way they react to gluten, the protein found in wheat. It is best if these folks avoid oatmeal altogether.
How To Make Banana Oatmeal Recipe With Old Fashioned Oats
Old fashioned oats are also called rolled oats, they are oats that have been steamed and rolled.
To prepare Banana Oatmeal Recipe:
- Combine almond milk, water, and rolled oats in a saucepan and bring to boil on medium heat.
- Stir and reduce heat to simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Stir in mashed banana, maple syrup, almond slices, and blueberries.
Other Vegan Breakfast Recipes To Try
- Banana Porridge
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl With Berries
- Gluten-Free Granola
- Instant Pot Brown Rice Pudding
- Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 191 kcal / 798 kJ
- Fat: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Carbs: 37 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- 2 Servings
- Combine oats, water, and milk, and bring to boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 5- 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flax seeds, banana, and maple syrup. Serve with almonds and blueberries on top.