Enjoy this warm bowl of healthy Caramelized Banana Oatmeal with Pomegranate and Blueberries, it is so flavorful and satisfying for breakfast!
When it comes to breakfast, there is never a dull moment in my home. I never rely on boxes of store bought cereal on a regular basis, but I like to serve a variety of delicious home cooked dishes in the mornings.
At times I just like to serve hot oatmeal and other times, I serve my Easy Homemade Granola. Breakfast is fun when Deavyd requests pancakes with a variety of toppings, I would then serve my Carrot Cake Pancake. From time to time, I even serve a traditional Jamaican cooked breakfast of Ackee.
I will share my favorite Jamaican style oatmeal recipe. As a child, I looked forward to my mom’s homemade hot cereal made with Foska Oats for breakfast. My mom made it with milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg, I remember the amazing aromas and spices.
When she didn’t serve oatmeal, she would serve so many different kinds of breakfast porridge, she would serve the even more popular cornmeal porridge or hominy corn porridge, high protein peanut porridge or green banana porridge which I totally enjoyed and now I make vegan versions for my family.
For this recipe, I decided to combine oatmeal porridge with one grated green banana and the result was amazing, it took simple oatmeal to another level. Daevyd ate about half of a bowl.
You can find green bananas in most supermarket, buy the greenest ones you find. You can either grate with a box grater or blend with water.
I added almond milk but coconut milk would have also been delicious, I sweetened the porridge with maple syrup but you could use any sweetener you prefer. I also caramelize one banana for a delicious treat. I also added sweet and crunchy pomegranate seeds and blueberries with a sprinkle of chia seeds.
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- 2 servings
- 1 green banana, peeled
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups almond milk, or coconut milk
- 1 pinch of ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana, cut in slices
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Peel skin off green banana using a knife, discard the skin. If using a box grater, cut into 2 pieces and grate both pieces using the smallest side of the grater.
- If using a blender or food processor, cut white part in pieces and add to blender with 1/2 cup water. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Add oatmeal, banana mixture, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, milk, allspice and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Keep eye on pot and stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Stir in sweetener and vanilla.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add maple syrup and bananas. Cook on one side until golden brown about 2 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 more minutes.
- To serve, divide the oatmeal into 2 bowls evenly. Top with caramelized bananas, pomegranate, blueberries and sprinkle with chia seeds