This Southern-Style Succotash recipe is so easy to prepare and it perfect to serve as a side. Colorful corn, tomatoes, okras, baby lima beans sauteed with onion and garlic. A simple dish to prepare this summer.
The weather here in Florida is so lovely and warm with sunny blue skies, this puts me in the mood for my Southern-Style Succotash recipe for supper. It is so easy to prepare, but bursting with fresh flavors. I plan to serve it with my Skillet Cornbread and Black-Eyed Peas Stew.
If you are wondering what the term 'succotash' means, it is a vegetable medley of bean and corn, sometimes with, squash, tomatoes, okra, peppers, and onion. The Native Americans of the Northeast USA first taught the European settlers how to make succotash, because it was inexpensive and highly nutritious. The name is a European spelling of the Narragansett Indian word “msickquatash,” which is talking about a simmering pot of corn with other ingredients were added.
Succotash became popular during the Great Depression here in the USA for the same reasons for it being an inexpensive yet nutritious dish. hence the catchphrase "Sufferin' Succotash" was used by many Looney Tunes characters. There are several variations of succotash throughout the USA, the main thing is succotash is a mixture of corn and beans. Here in the south, lima beans are preferred while in the North they prefer navy beans and
Succotash can easily be served as a one pot dish by adding your favorite protein, for example, marinated tofu, vegan sausage, soy curls etc. So for this recipe, I used lima beans, sweet corn, okra, tomatoes, onion, and garlic and it was so simple yet flavorful.
- 152 kcal / 635 kJ
- 4 g
- 5 g
- 25 g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , or vegan butter
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 medium tomatoes , chopped
- 1/2 cup baby lima beans
- 2 cups organic corn , fresh, frozen or can
- 1 cup okra , chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth ,
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil , or thyme
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 10 min
- 15 min
- Ready in:
- 25 min
- Heat oil or butter in a large skillet over medium-high, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lima bean, corn, okra, vegetable broth, and basil. Cover skillet and cook for about 1o minutes, stirring occasionally or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!