This Vegan Skillet Cornbread recipe is so amazing. It is so moist, slightly sweet and tastes just like traditional cornbread without the dairy. It will be the only vegan and gluten-free cornbread recipe that you will ever need. It is delicious served alone or with my Vegan Gumbo recipe and a side of my Southern Mixed Greens.
Growing up in Jamaica hot cornmeal porridge was a staple for us. Somehow, the corn on the husk there was very hardy, not like the soft sweet corn sold here in the USA. Corn was also enjoyed there in soups and roasted on open untreated charcoal fire pits.
As a dessert, we had cornmeal pudding which is a very dense, moist and rich cake. It was made with coconut milk, spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice (I will share my version soon).
On a side note, I encourage my readers to be careful when answering their phones from unrecognized numbers. Yesterday, I was busy working when I received a call, the caller ID identified the caller as IRS, I allowed the call to go to message. The message said that it was so and so calling from the IRS and that they are filling a lawsuit against you.
I shouldn't have but I called back the number and the person repeated their claim, I told him to prove he was actually from the IRS and that he was a scam, lol. The person started cursing me and I hung up, since then, I'm getting these weird numbers calling me and I just keep blocking them. So be very careful because there are so many desperate scammers out there. Have you ever received similar calls and how do you handle them?
Back to the recipe, this is the best cornbread I have ever had that is vegan and gluten-free, it is so moist and delicious. I used melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread but you can try coconut oil. For the oat flour, I processed rolled oats in my high-speed blender. For the almond flour, I used Bob's Red Mill brand. The skillet I used it the Eurocast Professional Cookware.
- 181 kcal / 757 kJ
- 12 g
- 2 g
- 16 g
- 1 cup almond milk , or your favorite
- 1/2 cup melted non-dairy butter , (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds , (I used the yellow colored)
- 1 cup cornmeal (fine)
- 1/2 cup oat flour*
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar , or sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- Preheat oven350. Lightly oil skillet and set aside. Mix non-dairy milk, melted non-dairy butter, and ground flax seeds and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, oat flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir wet mixture into dry until fully combined. Scoop batter into skillet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and fork inserted into the center comes out clean.