FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
First published Jan 30, 2013
As a mother, it is great to have quick and easy meals to prepare for my family that is healthy with ingredients that are in my kitchen to prepare for the family. Black bean burrito is a go-to meal that is enjoyed by my entire family.
I usually have rice and black beans that are cooked ahead of time, so all I have to do is reheat, cook the tortillas and add fresh ingredients.If you have had Taco Bell black bean burrito or even the veggie burrito at Chipotle, then my version is way better tasting, lower in calories, healthier and hearty.
How To Make Black Bean Burritos
Pantry Ingredients you need:
- Black Beans
- Brown Rice
It is quite easy to make black bean burritos that are vegan. Cook the black beans with onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, and salt. Warm tortilla until pliable in a large skillet over medium heat. I love to use these Gluten-Free Tortillas and there is a lot on the market now to choose from.
We usually add black beans, rice, guacamole, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce on top of our tortillas. Sometimes we add vegan cheese and/or sour cream. We love, Follow Your Heart Sour Cream and Shredded Cheese. Make this fun for everyone and assemble them with the entire family!
Find other favorite black bean recipes here:
- Vegan Brazilian Black Bean Stew (Feijoada)
- Black Bean Quinoa Patties
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Stew
- Black Bean Salad With Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- Spicy Black Black Bean Hummus
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 208 kcal / 869 kJ
- 3 g
- 7 g
- 40 g
- 20 min
- 45 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 5 min
- 4 gluten-free tortilla
To Prepare Black Beans
- 1/2 cup dried black beans, or 1 can 1drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
To Prepare The Burrito
- 4 large Tortillas, (I used gluten-free ones)
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup guacamole, or 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Romaine lettuce, shredded
For The Dried Beans
- If you are using dried beans, soak them overnight in water. The following day, drain water and rinse. Place bean in a large saucepan with 4 cups of water and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, sea salt and cook stirring for one minute. Add black beans and water, and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, partially mash beans and set aside
For The Burrito
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add one tortilla and cook on both sides, flipping tortilla with tongs. Transfer to a cutting board and Repeat with all tortillas.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of bean in the middle of each tortilla. Top with brown rice, salsa, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Fold the sides and ends of tortillas over the filling. Serve immediately or freeze for later.