These appetizing Vegetable Patties are a delicious treat, they are loaded with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, peas and cooked in flavorful Indian spices! They are vegan and gluten-free and taste amazing!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I learned how to make these delicious vegetable patties, also called vegetable cutlets about 9 years ago from a friend who called me mom. She was originally from Tamil Nadu where the vegetarian version is very popular using soy chunks.
When she first made these vegetable patties in my home, the idea of dipping the patties into flaxseed gel first then into bread crumbs was conceived. I haven't made them since and I decided to do a gluten-free version using a blend of all-purpose gluten-free flour and coconut flour instead of breadcrumbs with great success.
How To Make Vegetable Patties
First, boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Saute onion, garlic, ginger. Add cumin, turmeric, cilantro, carrot, green peas, green beans, corn and salt and cook stirring until vegetables are tender. Then drain cooked potatoes using a colander and rinse with cold water, allow them to cool slightly and mash using a potato masher or fork,
Mix mash potatoes with cooked vegetables and form into patties, dip into gluten-free breading and bake. These are traditionally fried so you are welcome to fry them if you choose.
I also like to serve this with a coconut curry recipe for a formal dinner or with ketchup or cilantro sauce for a more casual fare.
What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a bright yellow powder from the rhizome plant that is similar to ginger, it is used to flavor foods, for other health benefits and its also used as a natural dye.
I have a special love for Indian food and do love to use turmeric for flavor, color and most of all for its anti-inflammatory properties. Tumeric is what makes curry powder yellow.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been known to be effective in treating conditions such as cancer to Alzheimer's disease. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, beneficial in treating cuts and burns.
Turmeric is widely used as a pain relief for conditions such as arthritis and fibromyalgia. It is as effective as some conventional pain medications without the potentially harmful side effects. Turmeric has been known to shrink tumors and prevent metastases.
It is also used to treat psoriasis, acne, and other inflammatory skin conditions. It is also effective in weight loss and reversing heart disease.
Read more about Health Benefits Of Turmeric.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 129 kcal / 539 kJ
- 6 g
- 4 g
- 15 g
- 25 min
- 1 h
- Ready in:
- 1 h 25 min
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped in large chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, extra for brushing patties
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup green beans, chopped
- 1/4 cup corn, kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for gluten-free flour
Creamy Cilantro Sauce
To Prepare The Vegetable Patties
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Preheat oven 400 degrees F and lightly spray baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, saute until onions are softened about 3 minutes. Add cumin, turmeric, cilantro, carrot, peas, green beans, corn, and salt. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- When potatoes are tender, drain them using a colander and rinse with cold water. Mash potatoes with a potato masher or a fork, add cooked vegetables and stir to fully combine. Shape mix into balls, then flatten.
- Combine gluten-free flour in a bowl with coconut flour and a pinch of salt.
- Dip patties in flour mix, place on a greased baking sheet. Brush or spray with oil. Bake for 40 minutes, turning halfway.
To Prepare The Cilantro Sauce
- Drain and rinse sunflower seeds. Place sunflower seeds in a high-speed blender along with water, tahini, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Process until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the side of the blender and process again. Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.