Basil salad dressing is a tasteful, vegan salad dressing that is very easy to make. It is made with four simple ingredients and is a perfect dressing for your salad. It is rich, tangy, sweet and the natural flavor of basil shins through.
Do you want to make your own salad dressings? If so, you will be able to make them customizable to your own taste.
Also try my Vegan Ranch Dressing and Vegan Thousand Island.
What Is Basil?
Basil is an herb that is closely related to the mint family. It is indigenous to the Asian and African lands. Basil has fresh green leaves that are jam-packed with flavors and nutrients. You can use it in fresh form in salads, dressings, etc., or dried form as well.
What Is Basil Salad Dressing?
Basil salad dressing is a vinaigrette made from basil leaves, olive oil, and lemon juice. It is a simple dressing that goes well with all fresh salads.
Basil dressing has a rich, sweet, and savory flavor. You get hues of mint, pepper, and star anise. Basil is very easy to find. The herb has several uses, and adding it to dressing is the easiest way you can include it in your diet.
Health Benefits Of Basil
Basil is jam-packed with health benefits and nutrients. Here are a few health benefits of basil:
- Basil contains vitamin A, and vitamin K. both these vitamins protect the body against several diseases.
- It also has medicinal properties and has been used for nausea since ancient times.
- It is said to reduce depression and stress levels in the body.
- Basil helps in improving memory and prevents memory loss use to aging and stress.
- Helps in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in the body.
- Basil is natural aspirin. It helps in blood thinning and also relaxes your blood vessels.
- It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, it protects the body against diseases like cancer.
- Because of its medicinal properties have been used to reduce infections and act as a natural antibiotic since ancient times. Read More.
Basil Dressing Recipe
This salad dressing is probably the quickest and easiest salad dressing you can make. With four main ingredients, you can get it done in no more than 5 minutes. Here is everything you need for this simple dressing:
- Basil: The main ingredient of this salad is basil. You will need fresh basil leaves for his recipe. Make sure they are fresh, have a dark green color, are not eaten or withered. Wash the basil leaves and pat them dry before using them for the dressing.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in healthy fats and nutrients. It doesn’t add body to the salad but also adds more nutrients and healthy fats.
- Lime juice: Lime juice is tangy and adds acidity to the dressing. You can use lemon juice instead of lime juice as well. However, make sure it comes from freshly squeezed lime/lemon.
- Agave nectar: Agave nectar is a perfect vegan substitute for honey. It comes from a plant and is very sweet. So, adding agave nectar to the salad dressing will not just add sweetness but will also balance the tanginess and citrus flavor of the lime juice.
- Seasonings: Plain salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper, add saltiness and pepperiness to salad dressing. You can use sea salt as well.
How To Make Basil Salad Dressing?
Making basil salad dressing is the easiest thing you can do. It is so easy that you can prepare it in 5 minutes. Here is what you have to do:
- Wash the basil leaves thoroughly to get rid of dirt. Pat them dry using a kitchen towel.
- In a blender jug, add basil leaves, olive oil, lime juice, agave nectar, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Start blending at medium speed until you get a smooth mixture. You can also pulsate at high speed.
- Once all the ingredients are unified, pour the dressing into a jar.
How To Store Basil Salad Dressing?
The best thing about this salad dressing is that it will stay fresh for a long time. If you use it daily, you can pour it into a jar and place it on your kitchen counter. The acidity from the lime juice will keep the ingredients and dressing fresh. Furthermore, you can also store it in a refrigerator. It will last for up to 15 days or more.
If you are thinking of freezing it, you can try, but I don’t recommend it. That’s because once it thaws, the oil separates, which can be inconvenient. However, the flavor will stay intact.
What Can You Add To Basil Salad Dressing?
This basil salad dressing recipe is very simple and easy. The flavors are straightforward ad simple. However, it is not the only way you can enjoy this dressing. You can always add more flavors to it. Here are a few ingredients you can add to this salad dressing to enhance the flavor profile.
- Garlic: To bring in more savory and garlicky flavor, add one or two cloves of garlic. It brings in so much flavor to the dressing.
- Shallots: You can also add shallots to the dressing. It adds a base to it.
- Vegan mayo: If you crave a creamy and rich dressing, you can also add vegan mayo. Vegan mayo makes the salad creamy and adds so much flavor to it. It is a perfect choice for those who love creamy dressings.
Other Vegan Salad Dressing Recipe
- Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- Tarragon Salad Dressing
- Vegan Asian Salad Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing
If you enjoyed this post about Healthy Fats to Consume and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Salad Dressing
- Cuisine: American
- Energy: 83 kcal / 347 kJ
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Protein: .2 g
- Carbs: 3 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- For: 12 Servings
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a blender jug, add basil leaves, olive oil, lime juice, agave nectar, and salt.
- Blend the ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Pour it in an air-tight container and store.
This looks very healthy