FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Since living in Florida, I’m learning more about the traditions, eating black-eyed peas during the New Year’s is one of the traditions here.
This Black-Eyed Peas Salad recipe is so delicious, healthy, and colorful. It is the perfect side dish that can be served all year round. Just like my Sweet Potato Pie and Southern-Style Collard Greens.
What Are Black-Eyed Peas?
Black-eyed peas are a variety of cowpeas, although they are called peas, they are really beans. They are a pale cream color with a distinctive black spot.
However here in the South, we have many varieties of black-eyed peas with a different color eye, brown, red, pink.
How To Cook Black-Eyed Peas?
You don’t need to soak black-eyed peas, but I usually soak mine overnight in cold water. Place 3/4 cup black-eyed peas in about 3 cups cold water in a pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer for about 20-25 minutes. You don’t want the peas to be mushy but tender and just right for your black eye pea salad.=.
Black-Eyed Peas Salad Ingredients
- Black-Eyed Peas
- Red Bell Pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
More Black-Eyed Pea Recipes
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 1 (15-ounce can) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, toss black-eyed peas, bell pepper, corn, tomatoes, red onion, celery and cilantro. Combine Italian dressing in a jar and mix. Pour over black-eyed peas salad.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to be served.