Carob is a delicious dark chocolate-like drink. It is a healthy, antioxidant-rich drink that’s filling and tastes pretty good.
I grew up drinking Milo chocolate sweetened with condensed milk as a child and my grandmother’s homemade made from cocoa beans cocoa tea.
At that time I was always congested and had sinusitis, later on in life when I switched to a dairy-free, caffeine-free lifestyle drinking a carob drink instead of drinking chocolate, my congestion and sinusitis literally disappeared.
That’s my personal experience so I’m excited to share with you one of my favorite Carob powder recipes that I love especially during the cold winter months or during late evening relaxing comfort drinks.
Also, see my Vegan Chocolate Mousse and Carob Cake.
As always, I suggest you read the complete article for useful information included in the blurb. However, you can find the detailed recipe with exact ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
What Makes It Different From Other Drinks?
Everyone likes something different when it comes to their favorite drinks, and Carob Drink is something different. This drink has been gaining popularity in recent years and I definitely see why!
- It is a healthy alternative to regular chocolate drinks.
- It is easy and quick to make.
- It is made from natural ingredients and has no artificial ingredients.
- It is gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, paleo, and grain-free.
- It’s a refreshing, healthy substitute for soda or other carbonated soft drinks.
- It is a popular alternative to coffee and tea. It has a tingling feeling that’s similar to the caffeine present in some teas and coffees but with extra health benefits.
- It is also a great alternative to other energy drinks and sports drinks.
- This sweet, milky drink with a vanilla flavor will be enjoyed by nearly everyone all over the world.
- Carob drink is a special kind of drink that will take your taste buds on an unbelievable journey.
- It is always a crowd pleaser.
- I especially like the fact that you can drink it cold, hot, or iced.
- Carob powder has so many health benefits and is healthy to consume.
- Carob contains lots of antioxidants and fiber; it also has NO caffeine content.
- Carob powder contains fatty acids, amino acids, and polyphenols, all of which can improve heart health and brain function.
- Fiber is abundant in carob powder. Fiber helps keep you fuller for longer, minimize constipation, maintain bowel health, regulate your blood sugar, and reduce cholesterol.
- It also helps in decreasing weight as it contains low sugar content. This drink also contains good fiber content which helps in the digestion process. It helps in improving your metabolism rate and working faster.
- No sodium is present in carob powder. It’s a fantastic choice for those who follow a low-sodium diet.
- Calcium is a type of mineral. Bone health depends on it. Additionally, it promotes healthy nerve, heart, and muscle function. Approximately 4% of the recommended daily allowance of calcium can be found in just 2 tablespoons of carob powder.
- As carob is high in fiber and doesn’t have caffeine, which makes it is good food for people who have high blood pressure.
- The high vitamin content is beneficial for eyes and skin health.
- Carob, like cocoa, contains polyphenols, and antioxidants that have been shown to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- The tannin in carob powder has made it beneficial as a home treatment for diarrhea. Some plants contain tannins, which are polyphenols. According to research, giving carob powder with a rehydration fluid is a safe and effective way to treat diarrhea in babies ages 3 to 21 months.
- A 2003 study found that carob fiber contains a lot of polyphenol antioxidants. The study discovered 24 polyphenol components, primarily gallic acid and flavonoids, in carob fiber. It has been demonstrated that flavonoids and gallic acid both lessen oxidative stress.
NOTE: Your guests will beg you for more of this drink, so make a big batch.
Carob Powder Drink Ingredients
Carob Powder – Made from the pods of the carob tree, the pods are dried, roasted, and ground into a powder. The powder doesn’t taste exactly like chocolate, it is milder and sweeter but it is an exceptionally great alternative to chocolate. Carob powder doesn’t contain caffeine or theobromine, stimulants found in chocolate.
Carob powder can be used as a one-to-one substitute for chocolate powder in recipes. You can purchase the carob in health food stores or online.
Almond Milk – For this recipe, I used unsweetened almond milk but you can use the sweetened kind if you do then lower the amount of added sweetener.
Coconut Milk – I added coconut milk for flavor, it combines well with carob, but you can leave it out if you choose.
Maple Syrup – I loved the flavor of maple syrup as a sweetener in this recipe. Aside from its natural caramel sweetness, there’s another reason to use maple syrup: it’s actually healthy. Yes, pure maple syrup contains minerals such as riboflavin, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and potassium in every spoonful. You can substitute it with cane sugar or stevia.
Vanilla – I added vanilla to make the flavors pop and it worked quite nicely.
Salt – Just a pinch of Himalayan pink salt an optional ingredient added to make the flavor pop.
How To Make Carob Powder Drink?
Mix almond milk, coconut milk, carob powder, and salt in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Stir to remove lumps until carob drink is heated through.
Stir in maple syrup and vanilla, pour into a cup, and garnish with vegan marshmallow or coconut whipped cream. Serve.
How To Keep Carob Drink Warm?
Depending on the procedure, the length of time it will remain warm will differ.
- Make use of a slow cooker. Depending on the model of your equipment and the desired level of warmth for the drink, set it to warm or low.
- Another wonderful choice would be white thermos carafes. Simple pouring is required, and any decor will look good with white. These are a little more stylish and trendy, but they are still quite stunning.
- Use a thermos server made of stainless steel for convenience and to keep drinks warm.
How To Use Up Leftover Carob Drink?
If you have any leftovers, put it the refrigerated in an air-tight bottle or container. You can drink it as a cold carob drink or you can turn it into a carob shake by blending it with your favorite fruits.
Any kind of delicious-tasting and nutritious “fruit,” including dates, figs, bananas, and berries works well in this drink.
- I prefer unsweetened almond milk for my carob drink. This carob drink’s natural richness is greatly enhanced by its delicate nutty flavor. However, soymilk or your preferred milk will also work well in this recipe if you don’t consume nuts.
- If you want you can substitute maple syrup with other natural sweeteners like stevia and agave nectar.
- It goes perfectly with warming winter flavors like ginger and cinnamon.
- Add vegan whipped cream on top for an added delight.
- After you’ve warmed it up, use a frother to make it extra foamy and even more delectable. It gives it a carob latte flavor.
- Garnish with vegan marshmallows.
- Sprinkle some instant coffee or mini chocolate chips.
- Peppermint sticks or crushed peppermint
Other Amazing Carob Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Carob Have Caffeine?
Carob is sometimes used as a substitute for chocolate because, unlike cocoa, it doesn’t have any caffeine or theobromine.
What Is Carob Made Out Of?
Carob powder, often called carob flour, is a substitute for cocoa powder. It resembles cocoa powder and is made from the carob tree’s dried, roasted pods. As a natural sweetener, carob powder is frequently used in baked products. It has a distinct flavor and is sweet.
Where Does Carob Come From?
Carob, often known as locust bean and St. John’s bread, is a pea family (Fabaceae) tree planted for its tasty pods. Carob grows naturally in the eastern Mediterranean region, but it is also grown in other places.
What Country Consumes The Most Carob?
The three nations that consumed the most carob in 2018 collectively accounted for 60% of global consumption: Italy 34K tons, Portugal 38K tons, and Turkey 14K tons.
Which Is Healthier Carob Or Cacao?
Compared to cacao and cocoa powder, carob powder has a higher level of fiber but a lower level of minerals. It also has a higher level of carbohydrates and sugar but a lower level of fat. Carob has a reduced stimulant content because it doesn’t include theobromine or caffeine.
What Is Healthier Carob Or Dark Chocolate?
In addition to having more calories, dark chocolate also has more cholesterol, fat, and caffeine. In comparison to chocolate, carob has higher quantities of calcium and potassium. Carob, however, contains more carbs and less iron and magnesium than dark chocolate.
Does Carob Spike Blood Sugar?
Carob is sweet in taste, but unlike chocolate, its natural sugars do not cause a rapid increase in blood sugar. As such, it is a far better choice for people with diabetes or those who are trying to cut back on sugar in their diet.
Does Carob Make You Poop?
Carob’s natural sugars also aid to thicken loose stools. According to research, both adults and young children may benefit from using carob bean juice to cure diarrhea.
Which Is Better Raw Or Roasted Carob Powder?
Most people think that raw carob has a bitter taste, but roasting it takes away a lot of that bitterness. This is why the roasted version of the product is preferred when cooking or baking with it. Carob is mostly used as a chocolate alternative that is hypoallergenic.
Does Carob Help You Sleep?
Although carob powder has a chocolate-like flavor, it lacks caffeine and is rich in vitamin B, which increases serotonin and promotes sleep.
Så, the next time you find yourself without the coffee you crave, give this carob drink a try. The remarkable thing about this sweet succulent is that it looks like a chocolate lover’s dream come true; however, this resemblance is just an oddity of nature! Those who want to indulge in the rich, deep, chocolaty flavor of carob drink, are actually reaping a whole list of nutritional benefits at the same time. Your body will thank you when you try it out!
I sincerely hope you will take the time to sit, dine, and enjoy life with one another. Make this carob drink, and let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment on this post! I’d love to hear about more novel ways you’ve used up carob powder; I’ll add them to the post… Thanks for visiting my Recipes, and I hope to see you again soon!
If you enjoyed this post, Vegan Carob Drink, and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Also, get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families. Thank you!
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Beverage
- Cuisine: American
- Seasons: Christmas, Thanksgiving
- Energy: 186 kcal / 777 kJ
- Fat: 9 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 26 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 2 min
- Ready in: 7 min
- For: 1 Serving
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon carob powder
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt, (optional)
- Mix almond milk, coconut milk, carob powder and salt in a medium saucepan with a whisk over medium-high heat. Stirring until all lumps disappear.
- As soon as the carob drink is heated through and not boiling. Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Delicious served topped with vegan marshmallows or coconut whipped cream.
Do you think you could make a larger amount in a blender and then keep it in the fridge to either drink hot or cold, and how many days would you keep it for? Thanks in advance.
This carob powder drink is a perfect alternative
I made this using vanilla oat milk. Since oat milk doesn’t have fat in it I added some coconut oil and that gave me a perfect balance.
This is my new favorite hot drink. And making it is very cathartic.
Kendra, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. It is definitely a favorite of mine as well. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Hi Michelle! I shared the carob almond milk with a police chief I know and told him about how bad chocolate and cocoa really are. He liked it so much that he bought carob powder and almond milk to make it himself. I make my own almond milk from scratch from slivered blanched almonds all the time. Thank you for this.
Marie that’s so wonderful to read, that’s so kind of you, keep up the good work. Yes it is actually better to make your own almond milk, you know exactly what’s in it
Can I make this without almond milk and just add more coconut milk? I cant have nuts right now.
Thank you. Looks wonderful.
Absolutely, it will be very delicious.
This was sooo comforting
Thank you Aretha, I’m so happy you enjoyed it.