Instant Pot White Bean Soup
Today we are preparing a dish for bean lovers – Instant Pot White Bean Soup. There are times (and not uncommon) when there is no time for long cooking or there are simply not enough ingredients. For such cases, you should always have “rescue” recipes and white bean soup in your culinary notebook. Also, see Vegan White Bean Soup and White Bean Stew.
Why You’ll Like This White Bean Soup?
Quick and Easy. This soup is easy to prepare. No special culinary skills are required.
Hearty and satisfying. This is a healthy food that satisfies your hunger and leaves you full for a couple of hours. Especially if you serve this soup with some whole grain bread.
Weeknight-friendly. You just need 10 minutes to prepare ingredients and a pot to prepare your meal. This one-pot meal means minimal dishwashing.
Flavorful. There are multiple levels of flavors in this dish. All ingredients together make a delicious and colorful soup.
Allergen-friendly and healthy. This soup is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, and oil-free. So it is definitely allergen-friendly!
Health Benefits of Instant Pot White Bean Soup
White beans are low in calories. and they contain amino acids, lysine, tryptophan, methionine, arginine and, tyrosine. White beans are a good source of Vitamin B and Vitamin C.
Among vegetables, beans lead in the content of copper and zinc, magnesium, and iron. Doctors recommend that people suffering from chronic constipation, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus include beans in their diet.
How To Cook Beans In The Instant Pot?
You will need the following ingredients:
- Great Northern Beans – you can substitute with navy bean or cannellini beans. You don’t have to worry about the cannellini beans containing naturally occurring phytohaemagglutinin which a toxic compound in cannellini beans (white kidney beans). Cooking white kidney beans at high pressure will neutralize them.
- Olive oil – for cooking vegetables, you can substitute with vegetable broth for an oil-free version. You can also substitute with your favorite cooking soil
- Onion – Adds flavor to your soup, you can also add green onions.
- Garlic – flavor booster, if you are a garlic lover, add a couple of extra cloves.
- Carrot – adds a sweet taste and color to the soup.
- Potato – adds body and creaminess to your soup, mash some with the white beans.
- Spinach – add nutrients and color to the dish.
- Vegetable Broth – this adds flavor to your soup, you can substitute it with 2 vegan bouillon cubes and water.
You can soak or not soak. The Northern Beans will be tender and creamy regardless.
How To serve this instant pot white bean soup?
- If you like, you can sprinkle the soup with black allspice and pour a thin stream of fresh olive oil over each serving. It is not necessary, but it will taste better
- This Instant Pot White Bean Soup can be enjoyed with a fresh green salad and some crusty bread and on the side.
- Baguette sprinkled with a dash of black pepper and brushed with olive oil or soft French bread makes a great accompaniment. It’s simple but full of flavors!
Some useful tips
- You can decrease the cooking time if you are using soaked white beans. You can use canned beans. Adjust your manual cooking time to 20 minutes which should be plenty for these already soft beans.
- For a thicker and extra creamy soup, blend a little portion of the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- To keep the recipe simple, you can use only those vegetables that are available in the refrigerator. But feel free to experiment with any other vegetable that you prefer.
- For a creamier soup add some Cashew Cream in the last few minutes of cooking. It adds depth of flavor to this soup.
- You can also use fresh rosemary or thyme to give the soup a lovely boost of flavor.
Why should you make white bean soup in an instant pot?
Instant pot is the best way to cram hours of cooking into minutes and embed deep flavors over the short cooking time. It makes cooking fun and easy especially the food that requires a long-simmering process.
White Bean Soup Storage and Reheat Instructions
To store: Store remaining white bean soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. It is recommended to use glass meal prep containers because their locking lid maintains freshness better than zip-top storage bags or plastic containers.
To freeze: First, let the soup cool at room temperature before freezing and transfer it into freezer-safe containers. If you are going to use the zip bags, lay them flat in the freezer. In this way, they will take less freezer space. The frozen soup will keep well for about 4-5 months. After that period, it will begin to lose flavor or may develop freezer burn.
To reheat: White Bean Soup can easily be reheated in a microwave or on the stove over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. But don’t overheat because the vegetables may become mushy.
Let’s Sum Up
All bean dishes deserve attention since beans are a very healthy product containing vegetable protein, which is useful for the body and is much easier to digest than animal proteins
Try this hearty and nutritious lean bean soup. It is satisfying, healthy, and tasty, and it is also economical. For vegetarians, bean soup is simply a must, as it replaces meat, and for followers of a healthy diet, it is extremely valuable as a healthy nutritious food.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and share your feedback!
If you try this recipe Let me know in the comment section. Feel free to contact me with any inquiries or questions, and I would be happy to answer them.
Other Vegan Soup Recipes
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 340 kcal / 1421 kJ
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Protein: 21.4 g
- Carbs: 55.2 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- For: 6 Servings
- Press saute setting on the instant pot.
- Once heated, add olive oil or 1/2 cup vegetable broth, onion, garlic, carrots, and salt. Cook until onions are soft, press off the tab on your Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth and the white beans, close the lid.
- Close the steam releasing vent
- Turn the instant pot to pressure cook on manual high pressure and for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes and the instant pot beeps, use the quick release method to allow the steam to escape.
- Once the timer goes off, cover the vent of the pressure cooker with a dish towel and immediately release the pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the spinach, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point, the beans will be cooked but the soup will be watery. Set the instant pot to saute for 5 minutes and mash a few beans to create a heartier soup.