This Instant Pot White Bean Soup is not only quick and easy to prepare, but also hearty and satisfying. You can whip up this delicious meal in a short amount of time, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
All bean dishes deserve attention since beans are a very healthy product containing vegetable protein, which is useful for the body and is much easier to digest than animal proteins
Try this hearty and nutritious lean bean soup. It is satisfying, healthy, and tasty, and it is also economical. For vegetarians, bean soup is simply a must, as it replaces meat, and for followers of a healthy diet, it is extremely valuable as a healthy nutritious food.
Using an instant pot is the best way to cram hours of cooking into minutes and embed deep flavors over the short cooking time.
It makes cooking fun and easy especially the food that requires a long-simmering process.
Why You’ll Like This White Bean Soup?
Quick and Easy. This soup is easy to prepare. No special culinary skills are required.
Hearty and satisfying. This is a healthy food that satisfies your hunger and leaves you full for a couple of hours. Especially if you serve this soup with some whole grain bread.
Weeknight-friendly. You just need 10 minutes to prepare ingredients and a pot to prepare your meal. This one-pot meal means minimal dishwashing.
Flavorful. There are multiple levels of flavors in this dish. All ingredients together make a delicious and colorful soup.
Allergen-friendly and healthy. This soup is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, and oil-free. So it is definitely allergen-friendly!
Health Benefits of White Beans (Great Northern Beans)
White beans are low in calories. and they contain amino acids, lysine, tryptophan, methionine, arginine and, tyrosine. White beans are a good source of Vitamin B and Vitamin C.
Among vegetables, beans lead in the content of copper and zinc, magnesium, and iron. Doctors recommend that people suffering from chronic constipation, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus include beans in their diet.
Ingredients Needed for Instant Pot White Bean Soup
You will need the following ingredients:
- Great Northern Beans – you can substitute with navy bean or cannellini beans. You don’t have to worry about the cannellini beans containing naturally occurring phytohemagglutinin which a toxic compound in cannellini beans (white kidney beans). Cooking white kidney beans at high pressure will neutralize them.
- Olive Oil – for cooking vegetables, you can substitute with vegetable broth for an oil-free version. You can also substitute with your favorite cooking soil
- Onion – Adds flavor to your soup, you can also add green onions.
- Garlic – flavor booster, if you are a garlic lover, add a couple of extra cloves.
- Carrot – adds a sweet taste and color to the soup.
- Potato – adds body and creaminess to your soup, mash some with the white beans.
- Spinach – add nutrients and color to the dish.
- Vegetable Broth – this adds flavor to your soup, you can substitute it with 2 vegan bouillon cubes and water.
How To Cook Instant Pot White Beans
- Select the sauté setting on your Instant Pot and heat olive oil or 1/2 cup vegetable broth.
- Sauté onions, garlic, carrots, and salt until onions soften, then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth and white beans. Seal the lid and close the steam vent.
- Pressure cook on manual high for 35 minutes.
- Use the quick release method after the timer beeps.
- Release pressure, open the lid, and stir in spinach, then season with salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté for 5 minutes, mashing a few beans for a heartier soup.
- You can soak or not soak you white beans before cooking. The Northern Beans will be tender and creamy regardless.
- You can decrease the cooking time if you are using soaked white beans. You can use canned beans. Adjust your manual cooking time to 20 minutes which should be plenty for these already soft beans.
- For a thicker and extra creamy soup, blend a little portion of the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- To keep the recipe simple, you can use only those vegetables that are available in the refrigerator. But feel free to experiment with any other vegetable that you prefer.
- For a creamier soup add some Cashew Cream in the last few minutes of cooking. It adds depth of flavor to this soup.
- You can also use fresh rosemary or thyme to give the soup a lovely boost of flavor.
Substitutions and Variations
- Replace the potato with 1/2 cup quinoa and reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk to the soup after releasing pressure to make it creamier. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Substitute spinach with kale for a heartier flavor. Ensure the kale is chopped finely, and follow the same instructions.
- Swap the regular potatoes for sweet potatoes. Dice and cook them with the soup, following the original instructions.
- If you like, you can sprinkle the soup with black allspice and pour a thin stream of fresh olive oil over each serving. It is not necessary, but it will taste better
- This Instant Pot White Bean Soup can be enjoyed with a fresh green salad and some crusty bread and on the side.
- Baguette sprinkled with a dash of black pepper and brushed with olive oil or soft French bread makes a great accompaniment. It’s simple but full of flavors!
To store: Store remaining white bean soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. It is recommended to use glass meal prep containers because their locking lid maintains freshness better than zip-top storage bags or plastic containers.
To freeze: First, let the soup cool at room temperature before freezing and transfer it into freezer-safe containers. If you are going to use the zip bags, lay them flat in the freezer. In this way, they will take less freezer space. The frozen soup will keep well for about 4-5 months. After that period, it will begin to lose flavor or may develop freezer burn.
To reheat: White Bean Soup can easily be reheated in a microwave or on the stove over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. But don’t overheat because the vegetables may become mushy.
While you can use canned white beans, dried beans provide a more economical option and allow for better control of the cooking process. If using canned beans, reduce the cooking time to 5-10 minutes to heat the soup through.
You can use water combined with vegetable bouillon cubes or powder to create a vegetable broth alternative. Ensure the bouillon cubes or powder are vegan and gluten-free if you have dietary restrictions.
Yes, this recipe is great for meal prep. You can make a large batch and divide it into portion-sized containers for convenient, ready-to-eat meals throughout the week.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 340 kcal / 1421 kJ
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Protein: 21.4 g
- Carbs: 55.2 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- For: 6 Servings
- Press saute setting on the instant pot.
- Once heated, add olive oil or 1/2 cup vegetable broth, onion, garlic, carrots, and salt. Cook until onions are soft, press off the tab on your Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth and the white beans, close the lid.
- Close the steam releasing vent
- Turn the instant pot to pressure cook on manual high pressure and for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes and the instant pot beeps, use the quick release method to allow the steam to escape.
- Once the timer goes off, cover the vent of the pressure cooker with a dish towel and immediately release the pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the spinach, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point, the beans will be cooked but the soup will be watery. Set the instant pot to saute for 5 minutes and mash a few beans to create a heartier soup.