Instant Pot Potato Soup
Vegetable soups are very delicious. They are not just tasty but are also a healthy option. Plus, they are versatile, and you can enjoy them at any time, whether it is lunch, or dinner, or midnight craving.
Vegetable soups are perfect for every occasion. one such vegetable soup is the potato soup. Potatoes are a versatile vegetable. You can enjoy it in several forms. And making its soup takes the vegetable to a whole different level. Also, Check out Vegan Potato Leek Carrot Soup, and Vegan Cabbage Soup.
Traditionally potato soup uses cream, but since we are going to make a vegan version, we will use vegan ingredients instead. So, the soup offers a perfect solution to people who opt for a vegan lifestyle. Plus, it is also healthy. So, you have nothing to lose. In fact, it is a win-win situation.
What is instant pot potato soup?
You might have tried several soups, but when it comes to vegan soups, potato soup tops the list. It is a delicious soup that is neck-in-neck with creamy chicken soup. This vegan version is comforting and tasty.
Now, if you make potato soup on the stove, the process can be a bit time-consuming. That’s what instant pot is for! It makes everything within halftime. It is a fantastic kitchen gadget. So, getting the most from this gadget, we have tried potato soup in an instant pot, and the results are simply perfect! The soup turned out creamy, flavorful, and with just the right consistency.
Why should you make potato soup?
Potato soup is not just delicious but is quite healthy as well. If you haven’t tried a potato soup before, you are missing out on a lot! Here is why you should start incorporating potato soup into your diet:
- It is vegan!
- It is very healthy.
- It is gluten-free, thus a perfect option for you if you are allergic to gluten.
- It is dairy-free!
Which potatoes are best for potato soup?
When you visit a grocery store, you will find several types of potatoes. The most commonly available potato types are russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, and red potatoes. Furthermore, you can also find white and yellow potatoes.
When you are buying potatoes for potato soup, you are looking for starchy and flavorful potatoes that are super easy to break down. Therefore, russet potatoes are the best ones for this potato soup.
They break down more quickly, and the result is a creamy and smooth texture. However, if you don’t have russet potatoes, you can also use red potatoes. Remember that if you use gold or red potatoes, the soup won’t be as creamy as with russet.
The thing about Pressure cooker potato soup is that every ingredient is basic and readily available in the grocery store. Here is everything you will need for this soup:
- Potatoes: You can’t make potato soup without potatoes, can you? Like I have mentioned before, russet potatoes work best, but you can use gold or red potatoes as well.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk adds creaminess and richness to the dish. It also enhances the flavor of the soup and gives it body. If you don’t have coconut milk, you can also use almost milk, but you won’t get the creamy, thick, and rich consistency you get by using coconut milk.
- Vegetable Broth: Most people use water in the soup, but I love to add vegetable broth instead of water. It increases the flavors.
- Onion: Yellow onions work well for the soup, but you can also use purple onions.
- Garlic: Garlic also adds flavors to the soup.
- Pink Himalayan Salt: I love the flavor and properties pink Himalayan salt possesses. But you can use sea salt or table salt as well.
- Olive Oil: You can use vegetable oil or canola oil as well.
How to make instant pot potato soup?
Making potato soup in an instant pot is super quick and easy. Here are the steps you have to follow:
Step 1: Select sauté and once the pot is heated, add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Saute for a minute or two until the onions become soft.
Step 2: Season with salt and turn off the pot.
Step 3: Now add potatoes, vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Mix well.
Step 4: Seal the lid and select pressure cooking at high, and let the mixture cook for about 3 minutes.
Step 5: Once the timer is up, quickly release the pressure.
Step 6: Remove the lid and blend the mixture using a hand blender until you get a smooth and creamy consistency. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can pour the mixture into a blender jug and blend it.
Step 7: Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Tips and tricks for perfect potato soup
Although making potato soup is very easy but for perfect results, here are a few tips you should follow:
- Dice the potatoes in small and equal sizes. This way, they will cook evenly. Furthermore, the smaller you dice them, the more quickly they will cook.
- If you like your soup chunky, you can skip the blending process altogether.
- If you want the soup to have a thinner consistency, you can add unsweetened almond milk instead of coconut milk. Coconut milk tends to make the soup creamier and thicker.
- You can add more vegetables like carrots and celery to the soup as well.
- If you have to add spice to the soup, add red chili flakes, cayenne, cumin, and smoked paprika as well.
- To make the soup creamier and cheesy, you can add vegan cheese at the end as well.
- Garnish the soup with fresh cilantro, chives, or any other herb you like.
What to serve with potato soup?
Potato soup is not just comforting and wholesome, and it is also a versatile dish. You can serve it as an appetizer, side dish, or as a main course as well. Here are a few ideas for you what to serve the soup with:
- Dinner rolls: Dinner rolls go perfectly well with any soup. And when it comes to creamy potato soup, dinner rolls won’t disappoint you.
- Garlic bread: If you love garlic bread, you will definitely love it pair with potato soup.
- Roasted vegetables: Herb-roasted vegetables go very well with potato soup. It is a perfect combination.
- Bread bowl: What something fancy to serve at a dinner party? How about you serve potato soup in a bread bowl?
Potato soup is rich, creamy, delicious, and very satisfying. So, if you don’t have anything to pair with it, it is absolutely fine. You can enjoy its authentic flavors.
How to store instant pot potato soup?
You can add potato soup to an air-tight container and place it in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to three days. However, make sure the soup is completely cool before you put it in the fridge.
Furthermore, you can also freeze the soup. Prepare the potato soup in a large batch and once it is cool, portion it in an air-tight container or zipper-lock plastic bag. Place it in the refrigerator, and it will be good to do for about one to two months.
When you want to reheat it, you don’t have to wait for it to thaw. Instead, you can reheat it on the stove or an instant pot. Select pressure cooking and set the timer to zero. Wait for a few minutes, and the soup is ready.
Without any further wait, let’s head towards the instant pot potato soup recipe.
Other Instant Pot Recipes To Prepare
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Candied Yams
- Vegan Chili Mac And Cheese
- Jamaican Rice And Peas
- Mexican Rice
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 445 kcal / 1860 kJ
- Fat: 22 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Carbs: 57 g
- Cooking: 5 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- 4 Servings
- Select the sauté setting until the pot is heated up.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, and sauté for a minute or two until the onions turn translucent.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Add potatoes, vegetable broth, coconut milk, salt and mix well.
- Seal the lid and pressure cook at high for about 3 minutes.
- Once the timer is up, quickly release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and blend the mixture using a hand blender until you get a smooth consistency.