This Vegan Scalloped Potatoes, the perfect comfort dish for the holidays. Potato slices, smothered and baked with creamy, garlicky, cheesy cashew sauce is so easy to prepare. They have no dairy and are also great for when you have company or looking for the ideal dish for a potluck.
These vegan scalloped potatoes are a great holiday meal to serve your non-vegan guests and they will definitely enjoy!
I had about 2 bags of organic potatoes that were just starting to sprout so I decided I had to prepare them or else I might just have to put them in the garden. Preparing this Vegan Scalloped Potatoes recipe, was the perfect way for me to use up my potatoes. My Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes and Jamaican Spicy Potato Curry are next on my list to get the rest all used up.
What Potatoes To Use For Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
I love to use organic Yukon gold potatoes because they have a buttery taste, they help to create a creamy sauce and they don’t disintegrate during cooking.
How To Make Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- First, scrub, peel whole potatoes and cut into slices, about 1/8 inch thickness. Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheesy sauce in a high-speed blender. Drain and rinse cashews, place in a high-speed blender or food processor with vegetable broth, yeast flakes, coconut milk, onion, garlic, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Layer potatoes, green onions, and sauce in a casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered.
- Note that the time takes to fully cook potatoes depend on the thickness of your slices
- For an extra cheesy scalloped potato that is reminiscent of potatoes au gratin, top with a cup of your favorite vegan cheese shreds.
Note: Make your vegan scalloped potatoes 2-3 days ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Other Delicious Holiday Recipes To Try:
- Vegan Mac And Cheese
- Vegan Lentil Meatballs
- Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Tiramisu
Looking For Support?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
For The Potatoes
- First, scrub, peel potatoes and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices. Chop the spring onions and set aside. Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
For The Sauce
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheesy sauce. Drain and rinse cashews, place in a high-speed blender or food processor with vegetable broth, yeast flakes, coconut milk, onion, garlic, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth and creamy.
- To Assemble: Spray a casserole or baking dish or with oil. Arrange potato slices and green onions at the base of the dish and pour cheese sauce. Repeat potato and sauce layers. Finish off with vegan cheese shreds.
- Cover casserole dish with parchment paper then foil on top and bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top golden.
- Sprinkle top with fresh chopped green onions and serve!