FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin is also known as, scalloped potatoes or vegan dauphinoise potatoes, this is my dairy-free, vegan, gluten, and nut-free version of the classic french potatoes au gratin.
It is definitely the best vegan potatoes au gratin. It is rich and creamy and you won’t miss the cream in this non-dairy version. It is a similar recipe to my Vegan Scalloped Potatoes except I added caramelized Fennel and Onions and it was a huge hit.
By adding the caramelized fennel and onion, they boosted the flavors of a plain potato au gratin recipe taking it to another level. The mild licorice taste of the fennel with the creamy herb sauce is so amazing!
This gourmet scalloped potato recipe is the perfect side dish for a weeknight dinner, potluck or an elaborate meal with your guests.
What Is A Fennel Bulb
Fennel is a vegetable seen here in the USA mostly in the winter months and it is very popular in Italy. It has a bulb base with stalks like celery. It is a member of the parsley family and has a mild licorice taste.
How To Cut And Slice A Fennel Bulb
- Cut the green fronds close to the top of the bulb.
- Reserve the fronds to juice or to add to salads.
- Cut the bulb in half lengthwise.
- Cut into the base to remove the core and discard.
- Place the cut side down on a cutting board and slice crosswise.
How To Make Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin
To prepare the potatoes, peel, thinly slice using a knife, mandoline or a food processor. Place slices in cold water.
Saute onions and fennel in a large skillet over medium-high heat, for about 10-15 minutes in oil until golden brown. Move onion and fennel to one side of the skillet.
Add vegan non-dairy butter to skillet and melt, saute garlic and thyme for 1-minute stirring add gluten-free flour and cook for about one minute.
Add vegetable broth and stir constantly until sauce is thickened and smooth. Stir in Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and salt to taste if needed.
Spray a casserole dish with oil. Layer half potato slices followed by all sauteed onion/fennel, then half of the sauce. Arrange the remaining potato slices on top, top with the remaining sauce.
Cover with parchment paper and or foil and bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F. Remove the cover and bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender.
Other Casserole Dishes To Try
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 185 kcal / 773 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbs: 21 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 15 min
- Ready in: 1 h 35 min
- For: 10 Servings
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high, add onion and fennel and cook stirring occasionally until caramelized, for about 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop the onion/fennel on one side of the skillet. Add butter to the skillet until melted, add garlic, thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1-minute.
- Add gluten-free flour and yeast flakes and stir cook for another minute but don't brown. Add vegetable broth and stir vigorously until sauce is thick and creamy. Add Bragg's Liquid Aminos and salt to taste.
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Spray or brush a casserole pan with oil. Spread a layer of potato slices, followed by sauteed onion/fennel, pour half the sauce over them. Add a final layer of potato slices and top with remaining sauce.
- Cover casserole pan with parchment paper and or foil and bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F. Remove the cover and bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender.
Reheating: You can reheat your potatoes au gratin by covering with parchment paper and foil in a preheated oven 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.