This Blueberry Lemon Bread is a winner recipe. It’s so moist and delicious with bursts of blueberries and zest of lemons in every bite! It is also gluten-free and vegan with amazing taste and texture.
For me, if my son Daevyd approves my recipes, its a 10 out of 10. He kept asking for more. What’s so special about this bread is that’s it’s gluten-free, milk free, egg free, and refined sugar-free.
I was inspired to make this bread for two reasons. I had a two-pound container of blueberries in my refrigerator for a week, trying to figure out what to do with them. My husband kept reminding me to freeze them for making smoothies later if I’m not going to use them right away. I was just waiting for that inspiration as to what to make with them. I already had a Blueberry Muffin recipe and Blueberry Pomegranate Breakfast Parfait.
On another note, we just got back from spending eight days in Cancun, Mexico, I must say it has been one of my best vacations abroad so far. We had the most wonderful time relaxing, touring and spending time with family! As a gluten-free vegan, I was surprised about the wonderful variety of foods that were available at the 13 restaurants on site. We ate the most flavorful dishes I have had in awhile (apart from my own cooking, lol).
We stayed at Grand Mayan at Vidanta Riviera Maya, where the staff was amazing and there were lots of fun thing to do all day long. Here is a video showing my husband and son Daevyd at the poolside!
Well, I'm back in Florida and all rested and ready to embark on more work. This recipe is very easy to make, I used gluten-free flour here but I have used rice flour and oat flour with success. You would just need to adjust the liquid. You can use whatever sweetener you prefer but you might have to use less liquid if using a liquid sweetener. Bake until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean. I made a lemon kind of icing and drizzled it all over the blueberry bread and it made it more moist and delicious!
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar , or coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raw cashews , or walnuts, soaked (I used walnuts this time)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 15 min
- 1 h
- Ready in:
- 1 h 15 min
- Preheat oven 350. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or line with lightly sprayed parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix flaxseeds with water and set aside for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix gluten-free flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- In a medium bowl mix, almond milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest and flaxseed mixture.
- Stir into dry ingredients until fully combined, fold in blueberries and pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on cooling rack. Drizzle or spread lemon drizzle on top. Serve
- Place cashews, maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon juice and lemon zest in a high speed blender or food processor. Process until smooth, may add extra almond milk, depending on your preference.