Carrot dogs are a delicious way of enjoying traditional hot dogs without meat. The best thing is that it looks so much like the traditional one. No one will be able to know if you have carrots inside.
These carrot hot dogs are a perfect treat for game day, movie night, or an outdoor barbeque. Serve these to your friends and family, and I bet they will fall in love with the delicious and unique flavor.
What Are Carrot Dogs?
Carrot dogs are a delicious and vegan version of the most popular hot dogs. Traditional hot dogs use meat sausages which are not a part of the vegan diet. So, instead of using sausage, we go for a more healthy, tasteful, and super easy method.
Although you can use vegan sausages as well, I find a carrot to be convenient, more nutritious, and tasteful. These carrot dogs are marinated with unique ingredients that add flavor to them. Serve these with your favorite vegan toppings like vegan cheese sauce, relish, vegetables, pickles, and ketchup to enjoy!
Different Ways Of Cooking Carrot For Carrot Dogs
There are so many different ways you can cook carrots for carrot dogs. Here are a few to name:
- Stovetop: Because carrots are a bit hard, you need to cook them. So, one of the easiest and most convenient ways of cooking the carrots is by boiling them on the stovetop. The process takes just 15 minutes. Once they are tender. Finish them off in a skillet until they get a nice golden color.
- Instant pot: If you are in a hurry and don’t want to wait 15 minutes to cook the carrots, I recommend you use an instant pot. An instant pot is a fantastic kitchen appliance for those who lack patience in the kitchen. For cooking the carrots in an instant pot, all you need is to cook them at high pressure for no more than 2 minutes. Finish off by selecting sauté mode to get a nice golden color of them. Simple, and easy!
- Grill: This method is perfect for finishing the carrots off after marination. It is a perfect way to get the charred pattern on them. For a day out in the sun, grilled carrot dogs make an ideal dish on your table.
Making carrot dogs is easy. The main flavor comes from the marinade. Here is everything you need for marinating the carrots:
- Vegetable broth: Vegetable broth adds flavor and sets the base of the marinate. You can use vegetable Bouillon as well. Add a little water to melt them.
- Bragg’s liquid aminos: Bragg’s liquid aminos are made from soybeans. It is a perfect substitute for soy sauce. It also brings in an umami flavor to the dish. You can substitute with soy sauce if you don’t have Bragg’s Liquid Aminos.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup adds sweetness to the dish. It is perfect for balancing out the flavors. You can also use brown sugar or coconut sugar instead of maple syrup.
- Nutritional flakes: It is a type of inactive yeast that takes out the natural flavors of the ingredients.
- Sesame oil: Sesame oil has a deep, nutty, and earthy flavor. It is perfect for marinating and cooking carrots.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika has a deep, robust, and slightly sweet flavor. Using smoked paprika adds smokiness to the carrots.
- Onion powder: Onion powder has a slightly sweet, savory flavor.
- Garlic powder: It adds a garlicky and savory flavor to the carrots.
- Liquid smoke: Liquid smoke is a perfect ingredient to bring in smokiness to the carrots. For those who don’t make these on an outdoor grill, this ingredient brings in the wood smoke aroma and flavor.
- Hot Dog Buns: I used Schar’s Hot Dog Rolls, which is vegan and gluten-free. You can use your favorite brand.
How To Make Delicious Carrot Dogs?
Making carrot dogs is very easy and straightforward. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make them:
1: Start by washing and peeling the carrots. Trim the top and set them aside. You can first boil the carrots to soften them, then marinate the carrots for 30 minutes with seasonings, but a quicker method is to boil the carrots in the marinade.
2: In a saucepan, add vegetable broth, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, maple syrup, nutritional yeast flakes, sesame oil, smoked paprika, and place it on the stovetop.
3: Add the carrots and bring them to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, the liquid should have evaporated.
4: Cook carrots either on a grill or in a skillet over medium heat, using cooking oil spray until they get a nice golden-brown color.
7: Place the carrots in a hot dog bun and top with your favorite topping. Serve.
No carrot dog is complete without a few extra toppings. these toppings do not just add flavor but texture as well. There are so many options when it comes to carrot dog toppings; you can add liter lay anything, and the flavor will be on spot. If you are looking for some inspiration, here are a few ideas that will make your carrot dogs taste better than ever!
- Ketchup: Definitely the go-to topping for carrot dogs and kids love it.
- Mustard: Mustard and ketchup are the bread and butter to hot dogs. And therefore, the same goes with carrot dogs. Top your carrot dogs with rich mustard sauce and enjoy!
- Pickles: Whether it’s pickled jalapeno, cucumbers, or onions, the tangy flavor goes so well with the carrot dogs. In fact, it is the best topping ever!
- Sweet Relish: Relish is a delicious way to enjoy a blend of different flavors. It is savory, tart with a hint of sweetness we all love.
- Veggies: You can also top the carrot dogs with freshly diced vegetables like red onions, tomatoes, lettuce, corns, etc.
- Salsa: If you are looking for a Mexican flair for your carrot dogs, top up with fresh, tomatoey, zesty, and delicious salsa.
- Vegan Sour Cream: sour cream is another delicious and creamy ingredient to go with the carrot dogs. Made with silken tofu, it is a healthy yet rich option. With a bit of pickled relish, it will taste divine!
- Vegetarian Chili: If you are looking for a rich and wholesome option, how about you top the carrot dog up with vegetarian chili? Made with beans, this chili is jam-packed with flavors and goes so well with the carrot dog.
- Vegan cheese nacho: Vegan cheese nachos are a delicious, crispy element that is a perfect choice to satisfy your crunch-craving.
- Vegan Coleslaw: Adds a nice crunchy taste to your carrot dogs.
- Vegan Mac And Cheese: Take your carrot dog to another level with macaroni and cheese.
- Vegan cheese sauce: Vegan cheese sauce is creamy, rich, and delicious. Made with raw cashews, this sauce is healthy and a perfect thing to top your carrot dogs with. Furthermore, it is an ideal ingredient for those who crave mayonnaise.
Can You Store Carrot Dogs?
You can store cooked carrots for up to three days in the refrigerator. Furthermore, you can also freeze the cooked carrots before placing them in the marinade. This way, you can take them out of the freezer, marinade, grill, and enjoy!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 177 kcal / 740 kJ
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Carbs: 32 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 18 min
- Ready in: 28 min
- 4 Servings
For The Marinade
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- oil or cooking spray, for sauteing
- Wash the carrots to get rid of dirt. Cut the crown and peel them.
- In a saucepan, add vegetable broth, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, maple syrup, nutritional yeast flakes, sesame oil, smoked paprika, and place it on the stovetop.
- Add carrots and let them boil for about 15 minutes or until they are tender.
- Heat a large skillet or a frying pan on medium-high, add oil or cooking spray. Cook carrots until golden brown on all sides.
- Cut the hot dog bun in the middle, and place the cooked carrot on top.
- Add toppings and serve.