These delicious Hummingbird Muffins are the perfect breakfast treat, they contain juicy pineapple, bananas, and crunchy pecans. They are also vegan and gluten-free!
These Hummingbird Muffins are an adaptation of the famous Hummingbird Cake. The original recipe is from Jamaica, it was originally called, "Doctor Bird Cake" which was the name for the island's local hummingbird, and its national bird. To read more about the history of the cake see Wikipedia
These muffins taste amazing, the flavors of pineapple and bananas take you to the tropics. The recipe is easy to prepare and comes together quite easily.
I decided to make muffins instead of a cake, I didn't want to have to make a frosting because the muffins would be quite flavorful without the added calories of frosting, plus I find it easier to eat 1 muffin and freeze the rest to eat later. I use a combination of rice flour and almond flour as the gluten-free flour blend.
I included a substitute for cinnamon since it is a stomach irritant and some people are allergic to it. A blend of cardamom and coriander makes a great substitute.
- 148 kcal / 619 kJ
- 9 g
- 2 g
- 16 g
- 10 min
- 25 min
- Ready in:
- 35 min
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or, (1/4 teaspoon cardamom plus 1/2 teaspoon coriander)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, not drained
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12 hole muffin pan with muffin liner or grease with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together, rice flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon or coriander, and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together ground flax seeds and water, set aside for 5 minutes...
- In another medium bowl, peel and mash the banana with a fork. Add crushed pineapple, almond milk, oil, vanilla and flax seed mixture, stir to fully combine. Stir mixture into dry ingredient and stir to fully combine.
- Fold chopped pecans into the batter.
- Fill quarter cup measuring cup with muffin batter and fill each muffin pan hole until batter is used up.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely, Store at room temperature in a tightly fitted container or freeze for 2 months.