With a simple handful of seasoning and sweet potatoes, you can easily prepare these tasty Mexican sweet potatoes with all the best flavor, and one bite of it is just perfection.
These roasted Mexican sweet potatoes are crispy outside and tender inside. It’s a perfect vegan recipe to serve at a family gathering and pairs well as a side dish with Thanksgiving recipes.
It’s so good you might even prepare extras so that you can simply bake them and add them to your meal all week long. A combination of sweet and savory, which makes a delicious side to tacos, BBQs, salads, and more.
I love these sweet potatoes as they keep me full longer and are even packed with rich nutrients. Whenever I bake these sweet potatoes, my kids keep asking me when it’s going to be dinner. Even a picky eater will love these crispy bites, and it’s sure a crowd-pleaser!
Sweet Potatoes Health Benefits
Sweet potatoes are potentially higher in antioxidants named beta carotene which works effectively to fight various health conditions and raise blood levels of vitamin A.
- It’s high in fiber than normal potatoes, which is good for controlling blood sugar. If you have diabetes and live in health conditions that affect blood sugar levels, you might want to try sweet potatoes.
- It has vitamin A, which effectively promotes healthy vision and possibly helps with macular degeneration.
- The beta-carotene content in sweet potatoes might help reduce inflammation and cleans free radicals.
- If you are struggling with digestive issues like constipation and diarrhea, eat sweet potatoes to improve bowel movements.
- It has a unique mix of vitamins and minerals, which helps to keep the heart healthy. A serving of sweet potatoes will keep the daily value of potassium and is good for cutting extra sodium and dilating blood vessel walls.
- Worried about how to cut extra weight from your body? Eating sweet potatoes will keep you full longer, and it keeps fat cells from growing. Rather than pairing them with sweet ingredients, add them with savory ingredients.
Mexican Sweet Potatoes Key Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes: Look for a smooth outer layer and even-shaped potatoes for easy chopping and peeling.
- Olive oil: It’s a good oil for roasting over 400°F, and it even adds delicious flavor to the roasted vegetables. Most people stick with refined or virgin olive oil as its flavors stay good, have a low smoke point, and are very heat stable.
- Ground cumin: Adds depths of flavor and a good aroma to the dish.
- Chili powder: To spice up the dish and gives a good red touch to the sweet potatoes.
- Smoked paprika: It adds an incredible smoky flavor and aroma to the dish.
- Salt: To taste.
- Cilantro: In Mexican cuisine, cilantro is mostly used to garnish the dish to add a bright and citrus-like flavor.
- Scallions: Cut the scallions into small pieces and spread them on top of the potatoes.
- Sour cream: In most Mexican dishes, sour cream is used as a topping or dip. I used vegan sour cream.
How to Make Mexican Sweet Potatoes?
This recipe is a quickly baked sweet potato method that is interesting and flavorful. This Mexican-styled recipe only needs a few ingredients, and we have used a few tricks to cut down the cooking time and made the potatoes crispier outside and tender inside. You can also serve these amazing potatoes with any toppings you prefer.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Start by seasoning the sweet potato cubes in a large bowl and toss them with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on the prepared baking sheet and make sure not to overlap them. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned, flipping once halfway through.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish.
If desired, garnish with cilantro, scallions, and a dollop of sour cream or vegan sour cream.
To Make It in Skillet
Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high temperature and add seasoned sweet potatoes, occasionally stirring for 5 minutes. Add ½ cup of water or vegetable stock, reduce the heat to medium temperature, and cover it for additional 10 minutes. Check the sweet potatoes to see if it’s tender and smooth with a fork.
To Make It in The Air Fryer
You can also prepare it without making a mess in the kitchen. Start by preheating the air fryer to 400 degrees, and season the potatoes. Brush the tray with olive oil, place the sweet potatoes, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes; stir once to fry it evenly.
Other Topping You Can Add
What I love about these Mexican sweet potatoes is you can almost add any topping you love. Here are some toppings ideas,
- Bell pepper
- Vegan cheese sauce
- Sour cream
- Cilantro lime sauce
- Black bean salsa
- Hot sauce
What is The Healthiest Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes?
There are many ways to cook sweet potatoes, like grilling, baking, smashing, mashing, and even frying them. Along with all those cooking methods, the best way to prepare sweet potatoes is by roasting them. The best technique for roasting sweet potatoes is to put them at a high temperature.
When you are roasting vegetables like sweet potatoes at a high temperature, the natural sugar in them caramelizes the exterior part of the potatoes. It makes the roasted sweet potatoes even crispier outside and tenders on the inside.
Moreover, roasting potato is an easy process that requires minimal preparation and effort. If you want to go further and make the potatoes crispier, try coating them with cornstarch.
Should I Peel Sweet Potatoes Before Cooking?
You can also avoid peeling the sweet potatoes if you want to save up extra time assembling them. Trust me, I sometimes do it, too, as the skin gets crispier and crinkly. Even the skin has a lot of great nutrients, and it’s a big time saver.
Make sure to scrub and clean them well before adding the seasonings. My strategy is to peel some skins so that it stays crispy and get the flavors inside without the chewiness of all the skins.
How to Pick the Best Sweet Potato?
There are wide varieties of sweet potatoes available in the market. Make sure to choose firm and blemish-free skin. Avoid unevenly shaped, dark brown spots and wrinkled skin. Also, get orange, red, or purple-skinned sweet potatoes for better results.
How to Store Leftover Mexican Sweet Potatoes?
- You can refrigerate roasted Mexican sweet potatoes in an airtight container for at least five days.
- If you want to prepare them for the rest of the months, use the freezer and make sure to store them in an airtight container. It will stay good for three months, and thaw them overnight in the refrigerator whenever you need to eat them.
- After thawing, reheat the potatoes on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed thoroughly.
Chef’s Tips and Tricks
- You can also try sweet seasonings like cinnamon and sugar. It’s a popular thanksgiving snack that you can prepare ahead of time and enjoy whenever you want throughout the weekend. You don’t need to reheat them; simply keep them in the refrigerator.
- Light up these amazing potato recipes with vegan cheese on top and roast them for a few minutes.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks, and I recommend doing 1-inch cubes to be ideal. If you cut them in a smaller size, they will cook even faster, so make sure to adjust the time as needed.
- Do not overcrowd and overlap the sweet potatoes together. If you are doing too many sweet potatoes together, make sure to do them in batches. You need to give plenty of room to circulate air, or you will not have a crispy exterior.
- I don’t need to wrap the sweet potatoes in foil, as I see many people do. Feel free to avoid the foil, it’s one less work and good for the environment.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding
- Vegan Sweet Potato Souffle
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 157 kcal / 656 kJ
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Carbs: 18 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- For: 6 Servings
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned, flipping once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish.
- If desired, garnish with cilantro, scallions, and a dollop of vegan sour cream.