I am going to share with you some of my favorite quinoa recipes that I usually love to serve someone who is eating quinoa for the first time. The first recipe is my quinoa salad recipe in my cookbook, Healthier Steps 125 Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.
The second recipe Quinoa Broccoli Recipe, I first shared September 2, 2015. I decided to take new photos and include nutritional analysis. It is another favorite, which is always a winner for my guests.
Quinoa is steamed to perfection, with flavorful Skillet Broccoli seasoned with onion, garlic, ginger and curry powder. Perfect recipe to use leftover broccoli.
Seriously though, every single time I make a new recipe with quinoa, I’m convinced that its the best way to prepare it.
You also have to try my Southwestern Quinoa Bake. I have been cooking less brown rice lately and more quinoa in the dishes that I normally use brown rice. Its cooks way faster and it is full of nutrients.
Quinoa is so easy to prepare, I love the fact that quinoa is a complete protein and it is not a true grain but a seed. It is naturally gluten-free, cooks in about 15 minutes. See How To Prepare Quinoa.
Its high in fiber, iron, calcium and it is a good source of magnesium, copper, manganese, and lysine. Quinoa Broccoli can be served as a side without the tofu or as a main dish with added Baked Tofu Nuggets taking this dish to another level or you can add chickpeas. For this recipe, I added curry powder for extra flavor and its anti-inflammatory property.
- Energy: 245 kcal / 1024 kJ
- Fat: 10 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbs: 33 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- 4 Servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa, (3-4 cups cooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 3 spring onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup Baked Tofu, *link to recipe
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- Rinse quinoa using a fine mesh strainer. Place quinoa and water or vegetable broth in a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring to boil.
- Cover pot and reduce to simmer, cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until soft about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, spring onions, curry powder, salt, and broccoli. Saute until broccoli florets are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa to fully coat, tofu nuggets and cayenne. Serve immediately.