Roasted beets with chimichurri sauce is an amazingly delicious and simple vegan recipe that you can enjoy on any day. It is made from roasted beets and a simple yet authentic chimichurri recipe.
The slightly smoky flavor of the roasted beets, along with the refreshing and tangy chimichurri sauce, is a perfect dish for summers. You can add more roasted vegetables and customize the sauce according to your liking. This dish is simple, elegant, and jam-packed with tangy and herbaceous flavors of parsley, oregano, and cilantro.
Try this amazingly easy and flavorsome dish at home, and I bet you will love its freshens. Here is everything you will need for this tasteful dish.
You will also love, Air Fryer Roasted Beets And Beet Juice.
What is chimichurri sauce?
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce that is widely used in Mexican, Uruguayan, and Argentinian cuisine. The sauce is usually served alongside meat and steaks. This sauce is made from fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, and cilantro.
The dressing uses olive oil and lemon juice. Chimichurri is a simple yet zesty sauce that is very refreshing and easy to make. It brings out the natural flavor of the ingredients and goes well with almost anything from pasta, salads to roasted vegetables and meat.
The best thing about this sauce is that it is made from vegan ingredients and, therefore, is a perfect no-cook sauce you can enjoy with almost any vegan meal. Check out Tofu Steaks With Avocado Chimichurri Sauce.
You can make roasted beets with chimichurri sauce using simple ingredients that are usually always available in every kitchen pantry. Here is a detailed breakdown of all the ingredients you need for this vegan recipe:
For the beets:
- Beets: The main ingredient of this dish is the beets. Beets are easy to find and have an earthy and slightly bitter flavor. When buying beets, make sure you get fresh produce. Look for the texture of the vegetable. It should be firm to touch without wrinkled skin. Moreover, the green top should have fresh color and should be crisp. Always choose medium-sized round beets as they will cook evenly and easily. Are Beets Good For You?
- Olive oil: You will need olive oil to roast the beets. Olive oil is rich in healthy fats. You can also go for avocado oil.
For the chimichurri sauce
- Cilantro leaves: You will need Fresh, vibrant green cilantro leaves for this recipe. Make sure you choose cilantro that has green leaves. Avoid the ones with brown leaves. Chop them finely for this recipe.
- Oregano: Fresh oregano leaves have an herbaceous and slightly peppery flavor. Make sure the leaves you are selecting are fresh and not withered.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley also has a herbaceous and slightly bitter flavor. When you pair it with vinegar or lemon, the flavors complement each other well. It also brings in a beautiful green color of the chimichurri sauce.
- Onion: I have used red onion for this recipe. However, you can use white onion as well. Onion brings in a savory and slightly sweet flavor to this sauce.
- Garlic: Garlic is known for its unique, stand-out powerful garlicky flavor.
- Olive oil: Olive oil sets the base for this sauce. It is full of healthy fats and a mandatory ingredient. Go you good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice brings in acidity and tanginess that cuts the herbaceous and bitter flavor of the herbs. It brings in a punch and freshens up the whole sauce.
- Cayenne pepper: To bring in heat, you will need cayenne pepper. You can also use paprika or red chili flakes for this purpose.
- Salt: A dash of salt balances out the flavors pretty well.
How to make roasted beets with chimichurri sauce?
Making roasted beets with chimichurri sauce is super easy. The process is very simple, and it doesn’t take a lot of time to cook the beets. Because chimichurri is a no-cook sauce, you can easily prepare it within 15 minutes. Here is how you can make roasted beets with chimichurri sauce:
Step 1: Start by roasting the beets. The best way to do so is by trimming the top and bottom root, washing it, and placing it on a parchment-lined baking tray. Don’t forget to drizzle it with olive oil. Cover the baking tray with aluminum foil and place it in a preheated oven at 400-degree F for 45 minutes.
Step 2: Once the time is up, you have to check the doneness of the beets. Do that by piercing a knife or a fork. If you go in smoothly, it means the beets are done. If it takes effort, give them more time in the oven.
Step 3: Once the beets are done, let them cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, you can prepare the chimichurri sauce.
Step 4: For making chimichurri sauce, minced garlic, chopped onion, lemon juice, and a teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Mix well and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Step 5: Next, add chopped parsley, cilantro, and oregano and mix well. Using a whisker or a fork, pour olive oil while whisking continuously.
Step 6: Season the sauce with salt and cayenne pepper. Pour over the roasted beets.
Step 7: Mix well and serve.
Tips for making roasted beets with chimichurri sauce?
Here are a few points you should keep in mind when making this dish.
- Make sure the beets are equal in size for even cooking.
- You can also roast them by dicing them first. This will cook them fast, and you will get a more charred and smokier flavor.
- You can also roast beets in an air fryer or outdoor grill.
- When making chimichurri sauce, if you don’t have fresh oregano, you can use dried oregano as well. However, the color will be a bit dull as compared to using fresh oregano.
- For quick preparation, put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulsate until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- When chopping the ingredients in a processor or blender, don’t over-process them, or they will lose the crunchy texture.
- You can adjust the flavors according to your liking. For a spicier version, add chopped red or green chili as well.
Can you store roasted beets with chimichurri sauce?
Yes! You can store the leftover roasted beets with chimichurri sauce by placing them in an airtight container and storing them in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 days. Moreover, you can store the ingredients separately as well.
Chimichurri sauce can last for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Furthermore, you can also freeze it. Pour it in an ice cube tray, and it freezes. It will last for up to a month. You can thaw it in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that because it has oil in it, thawing will leave a bit of water in the sauce. It can change the flavor and texture of this sauce. That’s why I would advise you don’t freeze it for perfect texture and flavor.
Other Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Roasted Asparagus And Potatoes
- White Sweet Potatoes Roasted
- Brussels Sprout Stalk
If you enjoyed this post about Roasted Beets with Chimichurri Sauce and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 96 kcal / 401 kJ
- Fat: 4.2 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Carbs: 13.9 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 h 5 min
- For: 4 Servings
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For The Beets
- Trim the top and root of the beets. Wash and scrub them to get rid of excess dirt.
- Place the beets on a parchment-lined baking tray. Drizzle olive oil.
- Cover the baking tray with aluminum foil and place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 400-degree f for 45 minutes.
- To check whether the beets are cooked or not, pierce a sharp knife or fork in them. If they feel hard, give them more time in the oven.
- Take the baking tray out of the oven and allow the beets to cool down for 15 minutes.
- Pinch the skin, and it will slip off easily.
- Cut the beets into an inch piece and place them in a medium bowl.
For The Chimichurri Sauce (Hand Method)
- In a bowl, add garlic, chopped onion, lemon juice, and a teaspoon of salt. Mix well and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley, cilantro, and oregano.
- Using a whisker or a fork, pour olive oil while whisking continuously.
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Pour over the roasted beets.
- Mix well and serve.
For The Chimichurri Sauce (Food Processor Method
- Add onion, garlic, lemon juice to the food processor and pulse.
- Add cilantro, parsley oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pour the olive oil, pulse the food processor until the leaves are minced.
- Pour over the roasted beets.
Thank you Jacky.
This is very a healthy recipe: and very good for us all on a whole. Thanks for sharing.