Sauteed Kale with Garlic And Onions is a must have at your holiday table, it will be gone before you know it! Even the pickiest eater will fall head over heels!
I normally plant leafy greens in my garden and they do pretty well. This year was a disaster because I planted them too late and it was way too hot for them to thrive. This was actually our first year living here in Florida so I'm learning more about the growing seasons and the soil etc.
Gardening here is way different from anywhere we have lived in United States but I'm excited though because the growing season is much longer.
Growing up in Jamaica we enjoyed eating leafy greens for breakfast, in particular, callaloo or amaranth. We recently had family visiting from Jamaica so I prepared greens quite often. I made a variety of greens including, spinach, kale, collards, and callaloo. This recipe is my favorite way of preparing greens, except I omitted the Jamaican Scotch bonnet pepper and fresh thyme. I normally cook my greens with water and sometimes I may stir in a teaspoon of cold processed olive oil when the greens are tender. You can basically substitute your favorite greens with this recipe.
For this recipe for the sake of convenience, I used Trader Joes organic cut and bagged kale, that's why the stems are still on the leaves but normally I would have de-stemmed the leaves.
Personally, I don't like to eat bland vegetables so I don't like to serve them that way. I believe it turns people off eating more veggies when they aren't tasty. With this recipe, you can eat an entire bowl alone and be very satisfied.
- 5 min
- 5 min
- Ready in:
- 10 min
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes
- Add garlic and bell peppers, cook stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir for a minute.
- Add kale and toss to coat with the vegetables
- Add water and cover skillet cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir until liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, season with salt to taste and add lime juice. Garnish with almonds and serve immediately!