This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is hearty, rich, flavorsome, and super easy to make. And above all, you can store it for later days. Whether refrigerate it or freeze it, you can enjoy this soup whenever you want! It is a perfect choice for any winter dinner.
If you love butternut squash, you will surely enjoy Roasted Butternut Squash With Pecans And Cranberries and Black Bean And Butternut Squash Stew.
How to choose a butternut squash?
When looking for the fresh butternut squash for the soup, here are a few points you need to remember:
- The stem: Take a look at the stem. It should be perfectly intact, firm, to touch, and deep brown. Anything less than this is not the right choice, especially if you are planning on keeping the vegetable in the refrigerator for some time.
- Color: The perfectly ripe butternut squash should have an orange-beige tone. If you have green or yellow spots, it means it is not fully ripe. Furthermore, the skin should not be shiny; instead, it should have a matte finish.
- Texture: The butternut squash should be firm to touch. You can test its freshness by poking it with your fingernail. If the nail goes in easily, it means the squash is a bad one. The exterior should be quite hard.
Vegan butternut squash soup recipe
Making creamy butternut squash soup is super easy. All the ingredients are pretty basic and are readily available at any grocery store. Here is a detailed breakdown of everything you need for this recipe and how it contributes to the flavors:
- Butternut squash: The main ingredient for this soup is the butternut squash. Make sure you get the fresh produce for this recipe. You will have to peel the butternut squash, cut it into even cubes and use it.
- Coconut oil: I like to use coconut oil in my recipes. However, you can also use avocado oil. These oils are low in calories and heat up fast.
- Onion: A medium white onion is perfect to set the base for this soup. However, you can also use red onions.
- Garlic cloves: Garlic brings in a delicious savory flavor to the dish.
- Potato: Potatoes add creaminess and richness to the soup. You can use any kind of potato, but I prefer a starchy one. Peel the potatoes and cut them into even cubes for p.
- Vegetable broth: Cooking the soup in vegetable broth brings in flavors and richness to the soup. I prefer to add water along with vegetable bouillon.
- Thyme: Two fresh sprigs of thymes bring in aroma and flavor. If you don’t have fresh thyme, you can also use dried thyme.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is the reason behind the richness and creaminess of this soup.
How to make creamy butternut squash soup?
Making soups is pretty easy and straightforward. The same goes for this creamy butternut squash soup. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions on how to make this delicious and creamy soup. Here Is How To Peel And Chop Butternut Squash?
Step 1: Start by adding coconut oil to a pot and placing the pot on medium heat.
Step 2: Once the oil is hot, add chopped white onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
Step 3: Next, add minced garlic and cook for a minute or two.
Step 4: Add diced butternut squash, thyme, potatoes, water, coconut milk, vegan bouillon and mix well.
Step 5: Bring it to a boil.
Step 6: Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender.
Step 7: Remove the pot from the heat, and with the help of a hand blender, blend the soup until it reaches a smooth consistency.
Step 8: Season with salt and serve hot.
Tips and tricks for perfect creamy butternut squash soup
Although it is super easy to make creamy butternut squash soup, you should keep a few things in mind for perfect results. Here are a few tips that will make the soup super yum:
- Make sure you cut the vegetables like butternut squash and potatoes evenly. This way, they will cook evenly.
- You can use any cooking oil; however, coconut oil and avocado oil have more health benefits.
- You can either use vegetable stock or vegetable bouillon. If you are using vegetable bouillon, use water instead of the stock. It will bring in the same flavor.
- Always blend the soup when it is hot for a perfectly smooth consistency. You can either use a hand blender or blend it in a blender jug as well. However, because the soup will be hot, be careful!
- Garnish the soup with freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
- I use coconut milk because it gives the soup richness and creaminess. However, if you don’t have coconut milk available, you can use cashew or soy milk as well. Keep in mind that the consistency won’t be the same.
- If you don’t have fresh sprig thyme, you can also use dried thyme.
How to serve creamy butternut squash soup?
There are so many different ways you can serve this delicious soup. Whether it is as an appetizer or main course, the soup goes really with several sides. Here are a few to name:
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread is a perfect side to go with any soup. And with this creamy butternut squash soup, garlic bread makes the best combination ever!
- Bread bowl: Looking for a fancy way to serve this soup? Try serving it in a bread bowl. It is just the right way to enjoy it!
- Tortilla chips: A little crunch from the tortilla chips makes this soup fun and brings in a perfect crunchy element.
- Nuts: You can also top the soup with roasted nuts like almonds and cashews. Believe me, and they make the soup much better.
- Roasted/air-fried tofu: Crispy air-fried or roasted tofu is delicious. Serve it alongside this creamy soup, and I am sure you will love the blend of flavors.
How to store creamy butternut squash soup?
You can easily store the leftover creamy butternut squash soup by placing it in an air-tight container. It will last for up to a week in the refrigerator. For longer life, always use a clean and dry spoon in it for scooping out a portion.
Furthermore, you can also store the soup in the freezer. It will last for months in the freezer. You can easily reheat it by placing it in the pot and heating it on the stove. However, you might need to adjust the flavors a bit by adding more seasonings to the soup once you reheat it.
Do you want more amazing butternut squash recipes? Check these recipes below:
- Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
- Vegan Butternut Squash Stuffing
- Gluten-Free Vegan Butternut Squash Muffins
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Fries
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
- Energy: 207 kcal / 865 kJ
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Carbs: 25.6 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- For: 4 Servings
- Place a pot on medium heat and add oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add chopped onions and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Next, add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add diced butternut squash, thyme, potatoes, water, coconut milk, vegan bouillon and mix well.
- Bring soup to a boil, cover pot, and reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the squash is tender, remove the pot from the heat
- Remove the thyme sprig and, using a hand blender, blend the soup into a smooth consistency puree. You can also puree it in the blender jug.
- Season with salt and serve hot.