This Vegan Creamed Corn recipe is delicious, creamy, and gluten-free. It is the perfect side dish for a glorious Thanksgiving dinner. Since fall is coming up we thought we give this classic recipe a vegan twist! Made with just a few ingredients, you’ll be likely to cook this up whenever you are in a pinch or feel like having a midday snack in the winter.
Holidays are just around the corner and the anxiety that comes with meal preparation is real and understandably so. As much as we love sharing our space with our loved ones, catering to everyone can be a hassle.
The more mouths there are to feed, the more you feel less in control. However, the holiday season is as much about you as anyone else and you deserve to go all out and have fun yourself. So to make things easier for our readers, we have come up with a perfect little vegan recipe that is an absolute delight and can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of their age.
What Is Creamed Corn?
Creamed corn is a dish prepared by cutting the corn kernels from the cob and scraping the white creamy pulp. The corn is cooked with butter, sugar, heavy and then thickened with flour and water mix until thickened.
This dish originated from the native Americans, it is popular here in Southern USA and also Mid-Western USA.
Our recipe is different from classic versions because it takes a side step in the direction of healthy eating.
With this vegan recipe, you will be able to enjoy the richness of the sweet creamy corn without having to worry about sugar or gluten.
I prefer to use fresh sweet corn, which is still in its milky stage. When your corn is fresh, it is juicy and soft and hasn’t developed its starch content because it is picked prematurely.
However, if your corn is mature, you can easily puree some of it.
How To Cut Corn Off The Cob
- If you bought fresh corn, while it’s on the cob, you’ll need to husk it first and then place it in a bowl standing up.
- Hold the corn by the top and then take a chef’s knife and run it down its sides until all the kernels are removed.
Creamed Corn Ingredients
- Corn Kernels – you can use, fresh corn can corn drained or frozen corn.
- Coconut Milk – gives a creamy flavor to your creamed corn. Coconut milk does a great job of interchanging with heavy cream so you don’t have to worry about the richness of the recipe. Full fat coconut milk gives it a rich texture
- Vegan Butter – I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread, it gives a buttery flavor to the corn.
- Maple Syrup – sweetens the corn without sugar. You can use agave instead. t is a natural sweetener and is completely diabetes-friendly and doesn’t create a rise in blood sugar levels.
- Flour – I used gluten-free all-purpose flour. Since this recipe is gluten-free and flour is required to hold the recipe together and is also used as a thickening agent we are using gluten-free flour and
- will work perfectly fine as a replacement for wheat flour.
How To Prepare Creamed Corn
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn, coconut milk, salt, agave, vegan butter.
2. Whisk together the water and flour, and stir into the corn mixture.
3. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through. Serve hot.
- You can also use frozen sweet corn. If you’re not in the mood to separate the kernels from the cob or are in need of a quick fix.
- If you think your creamed corn isn’t thick enough you can always add a bit more and change the quantity of the milk along with it.
Other Vegan Corn Recipes To Prepare
- Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread Casserole
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding
- Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread
- Cornbread Stuffing
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 167 kcal / 698 kJ
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Carbs: 17.8 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- For: 8 Servings
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn, coconut milk, salt, agave, vegan butter.
- Whisk together the water and flour, and stir into the corn mixture.
- Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the corn and sauce and blend until creamy. Stir back into the saucepan and cook until bubbly. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve hot.