This Vegan Cornbread Stuffing Recipe has only 11 ingredients, it is so easy to prepare and tastes amazing! You can make the cornbread from scratch but remember to make two cornbread recipes so you can serve one sliced.
Cornbread and carrots seasoned with onion, celery, sage, thyme, and rosemary will make this homemade cornbread stuffing recipe a huge hit at your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
What’s The Difference Between Cornbread Stuffing and Dressing?
I honestly never heard the term cornbread dressing until we moved to Florida, I have always referred to this delicious Thanksgiving side as stuffing.
Technically by definition, a stuffing was meant traditionally to be stuffed inside the turkey or chicken for Thanksgiving while the dressing was usually baked in a pan.
It is also believed that folks in the southern states use the term dressing and folks in the northern states use stuffing.
Whatever you decide to call it, your holiday table should be graced with my amazing recipe, prepared from scratch, this stuffing is delicious and bursting with fresh ingredients.
A perfect side dish that will compliment your festive meal. You can make the cornbread a day ahead and use it to make Tofu Turkey.
Ingredients For Cornbread Stuffing (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread – my homemade cornbread recipe is amazing, perfect for making this cornbread stuffing recipe.
- Onion, Garlic, Celery, Carrots – give lots of holiday flavors to your stuffing.
- Dried herbs, thyme, sage, rosemary – you can use fresh herbs instead.
- Vegetable Broth – make your own or use store-bought.
What Goes With Cornbread Stuffing?
This recipe is certainly a winner and it doesn’t last for too long at my Thanksgiving table, it is delicious served with Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potato Casserole, Mac And Cheese, Lentil Meatballs, Cranberry Sauce, and Gravy.
How To Make Cornbread Stuffing Gluten-Free, Vegan?
If you decide to prepare your cornbread from scratch, you can try my amazing Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread.
- Preheat oven 350F/175C. Place cornbread pieces on a baking tray and bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat vegan butter or vegetable broth in a skillet; add onions and saute; until soft. Stir in celery, garlic, and carrots stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add sage, thyme, and rosemary.
- Combine vegetables with cornbread pieces in the bowl. Mix in a vegetable broth carefully to moisten, and season with salt to taste.
- Spread stuffing mix evenly in a lightly oiled dish and lightly press. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is crisp and brown.
Tips For Making The Best Cornbread Stuffing
- If you don’t like your cornbread stuffing sweet, reduce the sweetener in the cornbread to only 1 tablespoon.
- Add sliced and sauteed Beyond sausage to the mix.
- Prepare the cornbread a couple of days ahead, the following day cut up into bite-sized pieces and bake. Allow to cool and place in a covered container or refrigerator.
- You can also prepare the vegetable broth ahead of time and keep refrigerated.
- Add sauteed vegetables, vegetable broth to the baked cornbread pieces, transfer to a casserole dish and bake.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 70 kcal / 293 kJ
- Fat: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 49 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 42 min
- Ready in: 1 h 2 min
- 8 Servings
- 6 cups cornbread, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter, or 1/2 cup vegetable broth for oil-free
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven 350F/175C. Place cornbread pieces on a baking tray and bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat vegan butter or vegetable broth in a skillet; add onions and saute until soft. Stir in celery, garlic, and carrots stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add sage, thyme, and rosemary.
- Combine vegetables with cornbread pieces in the bowl. Mix in vegetable broth carefully to moisten, and season with salt to taste.
- Spread stuffing mix evenly in a lightly oiled dish and lightly press. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is crisp and brown.