FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Updated recipe: I literally made this Vegan Gluten-Free Carrot Cake three times before I decided to share it with you all. I wanted a cake that was moist yet not too heavy but contained healthy ingredients. With trial and error, I came up with what is now my favorite vegan carrot cake and the best homemade carrot cake.
Awhile back I was addicted to baking layered cakes, but nowadays I rarely make them! I just have to be in a special mood or it has to be a special occasion for me to do so. Instead, I prefer to bake Muffins, Donuts, Bread etc. I go for quick and easy recipes and methods only.
I even took the Wilton Cake Decorating Classes for 3 months. I loved the classes so much I encouraged my daughter Devannah who probably was about 10 years old to take classes also.
I still have photos of the cakes we baked and decorated. For each class we attended, we had to bring vegan cakes to decorate. I remember sharing those cakes to my friends, who looked forward to them.
Well, I’m in the mood to bake cakes again, so I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts.
How To Make Vegan Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
I baked the layers in two-9 inch round cake pans lined with lightly greased parchment paper for easy release of cake from the pans. I added applesauce, along with ground flax seeds. I also added crushed pineapples to the batter for a moist carrot cake. I used Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour and Almond Flour. You can substitute the brown rice flour with sweet sorghum flour or use half brown rice and half sorghum.
You can add walnuts or leave them out if you choose to.
So the first time I made it, I did a frosting that was similar to traditional frosting and like the ones I made many years ago. I blended up organic cane sugar in a high-speed blend until it was the texture of store-bought powdered sugar. I then combined the powdered sugar with vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, vanilla and whip until light and fluffy.
My third and final try was to make a coconut whipped frosting. It has to be kept refrigerated on hot days, or else the frosting will melt. Below I share recipes for both frostings.
These Are More Of My Vegan Gluten-Free Cake Recipes For You To Try:
- Vegan Banana Cake
- Vegan Gluten-Free Cake
- Orange Almond Cake
- Jamaican Christmas Cake
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Lemon Pound Cake
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 3 kcal / 13 kJ
- 1 g
- 4 g
- 3 g
- 15 min
- 35 min
- Ready in:
- 50 min
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour, ( I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar, or organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, ( I used 1 teaspoon coriander + 1/4 teaspoon cardamom)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups crushed pineapples
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided (optional)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and grated
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, I used Trader Joe's cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter, I used Earth Balance buttery spread
- 2 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Grease 2 nine-inch round baking pans and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together brown rice flour, almond flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together coconut oil, ground flax seeds, crushed pineapple, applesauce, and vanilla,
- Mix dry ingredients into bowl with wet ingredients, stirring to fully combine.
- Fold in 1/2 cup walnuts, and carrots.
- Divide cake batters evenly between 2 pans. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before adding frosting.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter. While mixer is on low, add sugar and vanilla, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Keep refrigerated until cake is ready to be frosted.
For The Coconut Frosting
- Place 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk or cream in the refrigerator overnight.
- The following day, invert cans. Cut them open and drain liquid into a bowl,
- Scoop coconut cream in a bowl, along with maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract. Process using a hand-held mixer until smooth and peaks are formed, or about 3 minutes.
- To Assemble: Place 1 of the cakes on a serving platter. Spread frosting of choice on top. Place the other cake on top and spread top and sides with the remaining frosting. Then decorate the sides of the cake with remaining walnuts.