This Vegan Persimmon Bread Recipe is moist and delicious, made with juicy ripe Florida grown persimmons, pecans, raisins and sweetened with coconut sugar. This persimmon bread recipe is vegan, gluten-free, healthy and scrumptious!
Just before Hurricane Irma passed through Florida, a friend of ours gave us a bag of juicy ripe Hachiya persimmons that he picked from his tree. He made sure he picked them before Irma blew them away. I love persimmons but you can only eat so much, so I decided to use up the leftovers and make this delicious Persimmon Bread.
Check out my other Gluten-Free, Vegan Bread:
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Blueberry Lemon Bread
- Vegan Skillet Cornbread
- Berry Banana Bread
I made the persimmon bread recipe 3 times and fell in love. I was inspired by Lucille Ball's Persimmon Cake Recipe, which I found online.
I made my recipe very simple, without much-added spices, so I could get to enjoy the taste of the persimmon. It was really delicious and filling, the perfect recipe for the holidays. You can add about 1 teaspoon of your favorite pumpkin spice to this recipe.
My friends, Hurricane Irma passed through without any significant damages. We are so happy and thankful that we were spared, yet very sad for those who were affected, and hope they have a speedy return to normalcy. I was fortunate to cook for a shelter during Irma, which helped me to stay focused and not worry.
It was such a beautiful experience, in which I have made several new friends.
How To Make Persimmon Bread
Make sure to use the ripe soft pulp of the Hachiya persimmon, and not the Fuyu variety, which is more crunchy. I mashed mine with a fork. You can use walnuts instead of pecan or just leave it out if you prefer.
Looking For More Inspiration?
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!
- 246 kcal / 1028 kJ
- 10 g
- 2 g
- 38 g
- 15 min
- 1 h
- Ready in:
- 1 h 15 min
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour, or almond meal
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup persimmon pulp
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice, (optional)
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line 9x3 loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly grease, set aside.
- Mix water with flax seeds in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free all purpose flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt
- In a small bowl mix coconut oil, vanilla, persimmon puree and flax seed mixture.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until fully combined. Stir in raisins and pecans.
- Scoop batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove loaf from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the loaf pan before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Bread keeps for about 5 days in airtight container and freezes well