One of the various persimmons varieties is Fuyu Persimmon. The botanical name of this Asian-based fruit is Diospyros. It’s another delicate fruit from Asia. You know my love for fruits. It’s so adorable to stalk the hanging fruits for hours. It sates your inner longing for nature.
The fruit to be discussed today in this article is the widely grown fruit of Asia. Out of the three main categories of persimmon that include Hachiya, Fuyu, and Cinnamon types.
The botanical name of Fuyu Persimmon is Diospyros which translates in “Divine Fruit” in Greek. It’s an important and highly planted fruit in Asia. Fuyu Persimmon is considered a national fruit in Japan. It is called by the name as Fuyugaki in japan.
Fact: In the United States, eighty percent of the persimmon fruit market includes Fuyu Persimmons.
Appearance (shape & color of the Fuyu Persimmon)
The Fuyu Persimmon is an orange-colored, round tomato-shaped fruit. The fruit is capped with a leaflet of 3 to 4 splits attached at the top. The skin of the Fuyu persimmon is a very thin, dark bright orange-glazed layer. The inner flesh is soft textured without any seeds, tannins, and core. The color of the inner flesh is a lighter shade of orange.
Taste of the Fuyu Persimmon
The Fuyu Persimmon is a non-astringent variety of Persimmons. Fuyu Persimmon covers a variation in tastes. It’s a merged combination of tastes of pear, dates, and brown sugar with nuances of cinnamon. The crisp and succulent texture of Fuyu Persimmon allows its eater to enjoy it in many stages to its maturity.
The Fuyu Persimmons have a quality that they can be acquired under-ripe, ripe, or over-ripe as well. Once ripe, they form a softer inner texture that is hard to be preserved for selling out to the global market. The inner flesh is a bit hard, firm, and smooth while in the under-ripe stage and goes ripe and fully juicy when it transforms into a jelly-like structure that is a kind of gelatin.
Seasons of the Fuyu Persimmon
The season of Fuyu Persimmon begins from mid-fall through the winter seasons. October to December is the domestic seasonality time of Fuyu while globally, it’s seasoned in May-June.
How to store the Fuyu Persimmon?
The Fuyu Persimmon is a delicate fruit that is difficult to be stored if it reaches the complete ripe stage. The Fuyu Persimmon can be stored in a refrigerator for 14 days in under-ripe conditions. In case of freezing, the fruit can be used within 30 days.
Nutritional Value of the Fuyu Persimmon
The non-astringent simple jelly-textured fruit has so much covered for you. The nutritional package along this tasty fruit is as follows:
- Persimmon is a packed source of nutrients and minerals.
- They provide a good amount of fiber, calcium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, and C.
- It enhances sight senses and benefits with vision.
- It enhances the immune system.
- Vitamin C has a positive effect on inflammatory diseases as it reduces the chances of heart diseases, prostate cancer, and diabetes.
What are the bad effects of bulge eating of Fuyu Persimmon?
- If you are trying this fruit for the first time, then be careful with over-eating. I know, I know it’s difficult, as the fruit is so over-whelming that Over-eating is hard to be controlled. But you have to control in order to avoid the condition of gastric obstruction. That is a severe condition that starts with Bezoars.
- Anaphylactic shock can be a result of the allergy symptoms appearing after over-eating the Fuyu Persimmon. Allergic reactions are rare but when it occurs in form of nausea and vomiting or stomachache.
How to grow a Persimmon tree?
Every tree needs proper planting strategies, growing ethics, pruning tactics, and harvesting sessions. But these major steps are more essential when you are up with some more soft fruit plants or trees. But don’t worry here is the list of points to follow and you are all set to have your own Fuyu persimmons.
- Select a location that faces the maximum sun.
- Choose the soil that should be well-drained, compost-rich, and loamy.
- The deeper the loamy soil, the better. As the deep roots of Fuyu persimmons need such deep well-drained soil.
- Select a place where you can see your tree attaining its required height and broadening as per its need. So you won’t have to remove it at any stage till maturity.
- Seed sowing and waiting for the tree to grow huge will take time so instead, dig a stem deeper in soil and see a tree growing rapidly.
- The Fuyu persimmons bloom within 5 years but do not fruit until 7 years. So you need to be very patient with that. Good things take time!
How to eat the Fuyu Persimmon?
Fuyu Persimmons can be eaten in a variety of ways. Either they can be eaten just out of hand or sliced or one can just cut it into two halves and scoop out the inner flesh and eat the scooped flesh of Fuyu.
Besides, Fuyu is the only type that is recommended to be eaten unripe as well. Other varieties are better to be consumed fully ripe. Fuyu should be purchased unripe and firm and kept at home for ripening procedure.
How to cook the Fuyu Persimmons?
Persimmons do offer several ways to cook them into delicious dishes. The Fuyu can be served dry, tossed in salads. The fresh Fuyu can be added to the salad too, most often the firm ones.
You can rock the chutney and sauce game by adding this secret ingredient to the sweet and sour tastes of the cuisine.
It works well as cake toppings too. If sliced thin as chip and topped on the cake for garnish and decoration.
Now is the time for a great recipe from Fuyu Persimmon fruit inclusion.
Fuyu Persimmon Autumn Salsa:
To make this incredible salsa, just bring these mentioned ingredients. Fuyu Persimmons (diced), Onions( minced), ginger (minced), garlic (minced), lemon juice, cilantro, and salt.
Mix these ingredients and toss them together with lemon juice and salt topping. Here is one of the best salsa prepared!
A healthy simple breakfast is always good for a healthy and happy day and mood. So grab yourself a treat by adding Fuyu persimmons to your toast and have a fancy adorable toast. Another way round, make a jam out of it and enjoy the jammed slices in breakfast.
This versatile fruit is a beautiful blend of natural glory bright colors and a healthy pack hanging on the tree as a fancy delight that you may not want to miss out on.
Other Amazing Fruits
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.