Purple mangosteen is a fruit that I have been curious to try to the longest time. My interest peaked after I tried the mangosteen juice and frozen mangosteen and loved them. I love exotic fruits like Loquat Fruit, Tuna Fruit, Bread Fruit, and Ackee.
Mangosteen is native to Southeast Asia, popular in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines, India, and Indonesia. Mangosteen is grown in tropical regions of the world like Puerto Rico, Colombia, and here in Florida.
Where To Buy Mangosteen
My daughter brought me 10 mangosteen fruits from the local Asian market. I was so happy when I saw these fresh purple mangosteen and I couldn’t wait to taste them. I was really impressed by how delicious mangosteen tasted.
Fresh mangosteen can also be purchased online as well, it can also be found freeze-dried, as a powdered supplement, and canned (note that canned version may contain added sugar).
All About Mangosteen Fruit Taste
Mangosteen fruit tastes sweet, juicy with a hint of tartness. It reminds me of a sweet version of soursop.
All About Mangosteen Fruit
Mangosteen is very nutritious with lots of unique antioxidants and xanthones:
- The fruit of the purple mangosteen contains anti-oxidants and xanthones which are anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, antidiabetic, and anti-carcinogenic. Read more.
- Mangosteen’s leaves and barks are used medicinally. Read more.
- The fruit is rich in vitamins and minerals, Vitamin A, B6, C, thiamine, zinc, folate, potassium, calcium, riboflavin, niacin. Read More.
- Aids digestion – The high fiber content of mangosteen pulp helps with digestion. Read more.
- Boosts heart health – the xanthone called Alpha-Mangostin in mangosteen are credited in reducing heart attack risk. Read more.
How To Eat Mangosteen?
- Cut the outer purple rind of the mangosteen with a knife all the way around the center. Remove the top half of the inedible purple rind and discard to expose the white juicy flesh in the center. Note that the largest white segment contains the seed. East the flesh and discard the seed.
Other Amazing Fruits To Try
- Papaya Fruit
- The Amazing Benefits Of Lemon
- Key Lime
- Ground Cherries Benefits
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Noni Fruit
- Tuna Fruit
- 10 Health Benefits Of Mangoes
- Loquat Fruit
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.