Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, is one of the best ways to prepare Brussels sprouts to bring out the best flavor. Brussel sprouts are the most misunderstood vegetable in my opinion. Many avoid them citing their strong smell and taste. However, I feel that what we have been taught about brussels sprouts is just plain wrong.
Most of these sentiments stem from one thing – boiled brussels sprouts. With boiling, this small vegetable gets a soggy texture and unpleasant odor.
But if you cook them using the proper seasonings and cooking methods, you can turn the small brussels sprouts into a delicious side dish the whole family will love.
Why Use An Air Fryer?
The first time I made this side dish for my family I was honestly a little nervous. Brussels sprouts roasted in the oven are fantastic, but I wasn’t sure how it would turn out in an air fryer. With roasted brussels sprouts, the best part is how crispy they are on the outside but how they’re soft on the inside. Would an air fryer be able to achieve this? Air fryers are not exactly famous for their vegetable roasting powers.
Luckily, I was proven wrong. By using an air fryer, my brussels sprouts became out of this world crispy! It provides a similar effect as frying or roasting, but without all of the cleanup and prep work. Air Fryers circulate hot heat around the food, cooking it as if it were deep-fried with little oil. It’s a great way to enjoy crunchy foods without the guilt of eating fried foods.
Will This Recipe Work For The Holiday?
Yes! This is the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner because anyone can eat it. Regardless of dietary restrictions, this dish can truly be enjoyed by all. It’s meat-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, etc. The only thing it’s not is flavor-free! The crispiness of the brussels sprouts creates a nice contrast with the tender Tofu Turkey making a nice combination of textures. It also helps you feel healthy when you’re eating all the other holiday foods.
Air fryer brussels sprouts aren’t just for the holidays though, they can be enjoyed at any time – either as a side dish or even as a snack! This side is vegetarian-friendly, and can also pair with some arugula, or other greens.
Tips and Notes For Cooking Brussel’s Sprouts
- To add an additional level of flavoring, you can combine the oil with melted vegan butter when cooking the brussels sprouts.
- This can be eaten as a snack if you are trying to find healthier alternatives to potato chips.
- If you want a deeper garlic flavor, you can replace the garlic powder with slivers of garlic. Cook the brussels sprouts in the air fryer for about 15 minutes, then add the garlic slivers on top. Roast for about 2 more minutes and you’re ready to eat!
- If you want a spicy kick to turn up the notch on your brussels sprouts, try adding some sweet chili sauce or sriracha or cayenne pepper after they have roasted for about 15 minutes. Similar to the garlic slivers, you can roast for an additional minute or two. Keep an eye on the brussels sprouts if you do this though, the sugars from the sauce can burn easily
How To Prepare Brussel’s Sprouts In The Air Fryer
- 1 lb. of brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Trim and halve your brussels sprouts.
Remove any bad leaves that may be on the outside of your brussels sprouts and cut the bottom part off. Then cut your sprouts vertically in half to get the max surface area for deliciously browned brussels sprouts. Don’t forget to give them a good wash to make sure all the little crevices are clean.
Preheat your air fryer to 375 F degrees.
Depending on your air fryer, you may have to preheat your air fryer. Depending on the model, it can take up to three minutes to preheat properly. After preheating the air fryer, you can add a bit of nonstick spray to the tray to prevent any sticking. The oil from the brussels sprouts should prevent this from happening, but you can add a little more if you are worried.
Dry your brussels sprouts and toss them with the remaining ingredients.
By drying the sprouts, you can get a much crispier outcome in the end. Once it’s dried you can mix them in a bowl with the oil, garlic powder, and salt. If you want to add any other spices here, you are more than welcome to!
Place the seasoned brussels sprouts into the air fryer.
Make sure to cook them one layer at a time and to not overcrowd the basket. By giving the sprouts space to cook, you will get more even cooking and crisping. If they don’t have enough space, the brussels sprouts could get a bit soggy and not taste as good.
While cooking, try to shake the basket a few times to help the brussels sprouts cook more evenly. The brussels sprouts should take about 15 to 17 minutes to roast properly.
Serve and enjoy!
Now that the brussels sprouts are ready for eating, you can enjoy them as a side or as a snack. These are best enjoyed hot, so don’t let them get too cold!
I hope that you and your family or friends enjoy this side dish as much as I do. Let me know in the comments if it has changed your mind at all on brussels sprouts!
Other Brussel’s Sprouts Recipes To Prepare
- Vegan Brussels Sprouts Casserole
- Easy Roasted Brussel’s Sprouts
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Stalk
- Best Roasted Vegetables
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 51 kcal / 213 kJ
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Carbs: 10.4 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 17 min
- Ready in: 22 min
- For: 4 Servings
- Trim and halve your brussels sprouts.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 F degrees.
- Toss Brussel's sprouts with oil, garlic, and salt.
- Place seasoned Brussels sprouts in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 15-17 minutes, shaking the basket halfway.