Sandwiches are great to serve for lunch, brunch or to take along for your next picnic. Also, try our other delicious vegan bbq sandwiches, Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwiches, Vegan Meatloaf Sandwiches, and Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwiches.
Barbecue Tofu Sandwich Recipe
It is warm here in Florida, so lately I have been making these bbq tofu sandwiches. They are easy to prepare and taste absolutely delicious.
Everyone in my family enjoys them all the time. I added seasoning to my tofu for extra flavor, since tofu soaks up the flavor of the seasonings. You can also use salt, or for more flavor, add Bragg’s Liquid Aminos.
This is a healthy sandwich to prepare for a Mother’s Day meal or add to your meal plans because it is so easy that even the children can help to prepare it. I used 2 slices of tofu for each sandwich, but you can use one if you are using gluten-free burger buns.
I wanted the tofu to be flavorful, not just from the bbq sauce on the outside, but inside as well, so I marinated the tofu with seasonings for 20 minutes. However, if you are in a hurry, just add the seasonings and then proceed to cook your tofu.
The Barbecue Tofu Sandwich Recipe is an excellent choice for individuals following a plant-based diet because it replaces meat with tofu, a protein-rich plant-based ingredient that mimics the texture and flavor of the meat.
This sandwich is a flavorful and filling option that provides essential nutrients like protein and fiber, while also being low in saturated fat and calories.
Additionally, the barbecue sauce used in the recipe is often vegan-friendly, and the other ingredients such as bread, and coleslaw, are plant-based, making it a perfect option for those who want to stick to their plant-based diet while still enjoying a delicious and satisfying meal.
Barbecue Tofu Sandwiches Ingredients
- Tofu – use extra firm tofu or super firm tofu. You can remove excess moisture from tofu by pressing it using a tofu press or wrapping your tofu with a clean towel or paper towel and placing weights on top for about 20-30 minutes.
- Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or Salt – use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder – add extra flavor.
- Oil – I love to use avocado oil but you can use your favorite cooking oil.
- Barbecue Sauce – use Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe or your favorite store-bought brand.
- Sandwich Bread or Buns – I used store-bought gluten-free vegan sandwich bread but you can use your favorite.
How To Make Barbecue Tofu Sandwiches?
- Make coleslaw and chill: You can prepare one of our homemade Coleslaws in a small bowl – (Vegan Coleslaw or Vegan Southern-Style Coleslaw) or use store-bought.
- Prepare Barbecue Sauce if you are using the homemade version.
- Prepare tofu: Drain the tofu, cut it into 1/4 inch thick slices, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel, and place in a shallow dish or lined baking sheet.
- Season tofu slices: brush tofu slices with Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes, onion powder, and garlic powder. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Cook Tofu: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu slices and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Flip the tofu slices and cook the other side for about 3 minutes. Repeat until all slices are cooked.
- Slather cooked tofu with barbecue sauce: over both sides of tofu and cook for about 1 minute to dry up the excess sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches: Place 2 slices of tofu on one side of the sandwich slice, I like my tofu sandwich topped with coleslaw or shredded cabbage followed by another slice of bread. Repeat until tofu slices are used up.
What To Serve With Your Barbecue Tofu Sandwiches?
Other Tofu Recipes
1. Smothered Tofu
2. General Tso’s Tofu
3. Tofu Scramble
4. Tofu Fries
5. Vegan Lasagna
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 318 kcal / 1329 kJ
- Fat: 11 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Carbs: 53 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 8 min
- Ready in: 28 min
- For: 6 servings
- Drain the tofu, cut into 1/4 inch slices, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel, and place in a shallow dish.
- Brush tofu slices with Bragg's Liquid Aminos, sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes, onion powder, and garlic powder. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu slices and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip the tofu slices and cook the other side for about 3 minutes. Repeat until all slices are cooked.
- over both sides of tofu and cook for about 1 minute to dry up the excess sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place 2 slices of tofu on one side of the sandwich slice, top with coleslaw or shredded cabbage, followed by another slice of bread. Repeat until tofu slices are used up.