Everyone loves potato chips. They are crunchy, crispy, and tasteful. But if you are following a healthy lifestyle, you might think that potato chips aren’t for you. But it isn’t true! You can make a deliciously healthy version of Homemade Baked Potato Chips and enjoy them without worrying about the number of calories they have.
Here is an easy homemade baked potato chips recipe that is not just delicious but also full of nutrients and health benefits.
Whether you follow a vegan diet or not, you should try this recipe. The best thing about it is that it is super easy to make. It complements any dish and is a perfect food for snack time. Whether it’s kids or adults, everyone will like these chips alike.
Benefits of baked homemade potato chips
Most of us think potato chips are unhealthy. Well, they are unhealthy only when you fry them in oil. Potato chips are a favorite of many people. They are perfect for snacking. Whether you are getting yourself a pack of your favorite chips from a grocery store or thinking to make some for yourself at home, these are among the best comfort foods you can get.
Not many know that baked homemade potato chips are the healthiest of all types of potato chips. For one, they are baked and not fried. As a result, they are super healthy. Here are some of the health benefits of baked potato chip:
- Homemade baked potato chips are low in calories. When compared to fried chips, they are about 15% less in calories.
- These are also low in fat. They are about 50% less fatty as compared to fried chips.
- Potatoes are naturally high in potassium. Therefore, baked potatoes are also a good source of potassium. Potassium helps in regulating the fluid balance of the body. It also regulates stomach bloating and even regulate blood pressure.
- They are also a rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is very important for the body’s immunity.
Alternatives to potatoes for baked crisps
If you think you can only bake a potato for chips, it is not it. You can also bake several other vegetables. For instance, you can also switch potatoes with sweet potatoes, squash, and much more.
The thing about vegetables is that you can preserve their benefits by baking them instead of frying. Oil destroys the benefits of the vegetables. Therefore, it is crucial that you bake such vegetable chips to get the most of its health benefits.
How to make potato chips?
Making potato chips are super easy. All you have to do is wash the potatoes, scrub them and slice them thinly. Scrubbing is essential because it removes dirt particles from the skin.
Most people like to peel the potatoes before slicing, but I would recommend keeping the skin on. The skin doesn’t just taste delicious, but it is also a source of minerals and vitamins. Also, it gives the chips a nice texture, which I really love.
Once you slice the potatoes thinly, you should pat them dry using a paper or kitchen towel. Next, you need to season them with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Toss them until the slices are covered with the spices.
Next, you have to line them on a baking tray. Place the tray in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Once done, you can enjoy the delicious, crispy, and crunchy potato chips.
How to serve baked potato chips?
Baked potato chips are super versatile. You can serve them with a lot of things. Since they are super easy to make, they are perfect for snacking.
However, you can use them with your favorite burgers and sandwiches. These chips go perfectly well with any type of dip or sauce. It is a perfect treat for game night or movie night.
If you have friends over, baked potato chips not only taste delicious but also satisfy food craving perfectly well. You don’t have to feel guilty after eating these. That’s for sure!
Which potatoes to use for baked potato chips?
If you are looking for crispy potato chips that hold their shape and texture and are not soggy, I would recommend you use russet potatoes. The reason is the amount of starch in them.
The starch content let them have the perfect crunch element that everyone loves. They don’t get soggy quickly and curl up to perfection.
However, if you can’t find russet potatoes, you can also use Yukon Gold. They are also ideal for baked potato chips and crisp up just as nicely as any other.
Secrets to baking potato chips
Baking the perfect potato crisps might seem an easy task, but you have to take care of a few things to get everything right. Here are a few pro tips that will help you achieve perfect results.
- Make sure you cut all the potato slices of equal thickness. As a result, all the potato chips will have the same texture. When you don’t cut them with the same thickness, the final product will not only have different textures but will also result in uneven cooking. Some will cook through faster, while others will be undercooked. In other words, you will have to check every single slice, and it will be very inconvenient for you.
- Make sure you always use parchment paper and never place potato slices on the baking tray directly. The slices will get stick to the tray, and it won’t be fun at all. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can also use aluminum foil. Also, make sure you oil the parchment paper with cooking oil.
- People love potato chips because of their crunchy texture. So, to achieve that, you will need to use enough oil that the slices cook through easily. However, make sure you don’t use too much oil. This way, the chips will turn soggy. Also, when you use too much oil, you add unnecessary fats and calories to the chips.
- Moreover, using too much oil also burns the chips soon. So, make sure you use a sufficient amount of oil just enough to cook the potato slices through and give them a nice golden brown color.
I really like the simplicity of bakes potato chips, so I season them with salt and garlic powder. However, you can use different seasonings and spices for this purpose. Use a sharp knife and slice potatoes thinly but you can use a Mandoline for super thin slices. I then toss the potato slices with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.
Here are a few ideas that will spice up your baked homemade potato chips:
- Mexican chips: When you think Mexican, you instantly think of cumin and chili. So, season the potato chips with cumin powder, chili powder, and olive oil. Once they are done, squeeze a lemon and enjoy the Mexican flavors.
- Herbs: who doesn’t like the aroma of fresh herbs. As soon as the potato chips are done, sprinkle dried herbs like rosemary or oregano. Enjoy the freshness and aroma. You can also use Italian seasonings along with olive oil and toss the potato slices in it.
- Taco seasoning: missing taco flavor? Mix taco seasoning with olive oil and toss the potato slices in it. Bake the same way and serve it with your favorite dip.
- Smokes BBQ: with five simple ingredients, you can turn your homemade baked potato chips into something smoky and spicy. Add paprika, sugar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder in the olive oil. Mix well and toss the potato slices in it. Bake the same way and enjoy the smoky flavor of BBQ.
- Vegan cheese style: Now, this is my most favorite way of preparing potato chips. Once the chips are done, toss them into nutritional yeast as they are hot. Enjoy the kick of protein along with flavors that mimic parmesan.
Other Homemade Snacks To Prepare
- Air Fryer Fries
- Kale Chips
- Potato And Peas Samosa Muffins
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Air Fryer Plantains
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 75 kcal / 314 kJ
- Fat: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 12 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- For: 4 servings
- Wash the potatoes, and scrub them until all they are dirt free.
- Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the potatoes thinly.
- Dry the slices with the help of a paper towel.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly oil it.
- In a bowl, add potato slices, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.
- Toss until the spices cover the potato slices.
- Place the slices on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking tray on a preheated oven at 400-degree F for 30 minutes.
- After 15 minutes into the cook, turn over the slices.
- Once the chips get a nice golden-brown color, remove them from the oven and let them cool a bit before serving.