I had a bag of black chickpeas laying on my pantry shelf, I finally decided to make a dish with it. I decided to make a Moroccan-style version of my popular Chickpea Stew. Now I'm not sure which version I prepare because they both taste amazing!
What Are Black Chickpeas?
Black chickpeas also are known as Kala Chana, Bengal Grams in India, a variety of chickpeas that are quite rare. They are also grown in parts of Italy where they are called Ceci Neri.
black chickpeas are small, black or dark brown in color with wrinkled skin and dark brown when cooked, they are harder than the more common beige chickens and much firmer in texture. They have an earthy robust flavor.
Where Can I Buy Black Chickpeas?
Black chickpeas can be purchased in Indian supermarkets or online on Amazon.
Black Chickpeas Nutrition
Black chickpeas are three times higher in fiber than beige chickpeas. They are also low in fat, have a low glycemic index making them great for diabetics, contain carbohydrates, iron, protein, zinc, and potassium. Read more about black chickpea health benefits here.
How To Make Kala Chana / Black Chickpeas?
Black chickpeas are harder than the beige variety, they require more soaking and cooking times. I soaked mine overnight. Black chickpeas can take as long as 1 1/2 hours to cook on the stove top. You can reduce the cooking time by cooking the chickpeas in your Instant Pot.
If you are preparing dried black chickpeas on the stove-top:
Soak 1 cup of chickpeas in 3-4 cups of cold water overnight. The following morning, drain and discard water. Replace with 4 cups of water in large pot on medium-high, reduce to simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Drain liquid and follow the recipe below.
If you are using a pressure cooker or Instant Pot:
Soak 1 cup of chickpeas in 3-4 cups of cold water overnight. The following morning, drain and discard water. Add soaked beans to the pressure cooker along with 4 cups of cold water.
Close lid set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Select Pressure Cooking or Manual Setting. Set the cooking time for 35 minutes at High Pressure.
Let the pressure release naturally, this will take about 20 minutes. Open the pot after the pin drops. Drain liquid and follow the recipe below.
How To Prepare Black Chickpea Stew?
Cook, onion, garlic, bell pepper in olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Cook until onions are soft,
Add spices and cook until fragrant.
Add chickpeas and stir to coat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, vegetable broth, and salt.
Bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until stew is thickened, using the back of a spoon mash some of the chickpeas to help thicken. Serve over cooked rice or quinoa.
Other Amazing Vegan Stew
- 169 kcal / 706 kJ
- 9 g
- 8 g
- 16 g
- 15 min
- 25 min
- Ready in:
- 45 min
- 2 cups black chickpeas, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, (don't drain)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar, (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and cook until onions are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and cook until fragrant. Add chickpeas and stir to coat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, vegetable broth, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until stew is thickened, using the back of a spoon mash some of the chickpeas to help thicken. Serve over cooked rice or quinoa.
- Prepare your black chickpeas in large batches, soak and cook and freeze in portion sizes for later use.
- Substitute black chickpeas for all traditional recipes that used regular chickpeas.