Celery root white bean stew is a rich, comforting, hearty, and warm stew that is perfect for winters. This stew is not just easy to make but is loaded with healthy ingredients and flavors.
Its simplicity makes it very convenient and heartwarming. If you want to feed a large crown in dead winters, this stew will emerge to be very promising and utterly tasteful.
- Celery root: Celery root, also known as celeriac, is a type of celery that is actually a root vegetable. The bulb-like vegetable is attached to a small stem. It often looks like a turnip. Celeriac has celery and parsley-like flavor. It is very nutritious and versatile as well. You can eat it raw or cooked. It is a fall and winter vegetable so that you can enjoy it in stews, soups, and even salads. Read More About Celery Root.
- Potatoes: Potatoes have natural starch that makes this stew slightly thick. Moreover, they add a rich flavor to the stew as well. Although russet potatoes are the best choice, you can use any other type as well. If you like the sweet and savory flavor of sweet potatoes, you can use these as well. See How Long Potatoes Last.
- White beans: White beans come in several types. These generally are known as Cannellini beans, white kidney beans, or even navy beans. These beans are white in color and are of a kidney shape. These beans have a nutty and earthy flavor and a tender texture. These work perfectly well in stews, chilis, and soups. White beans come in dried form as well as canned form. Although dried white beans seem more economical than canned ones, if you want a quick solution, canned white beans are very convenient to use. However, if you are using dried white beans, make sure you soak them for about 2 to 6 hours prior to cooking. This will soften them up and will reduce the cooking time. If you don’t want to soak them, then rinse them a couple of times and cook them for about an hour or so. These beans are rich in antioxidants, protein, and fiber.
- Vegetable broth: Vegetable broth gives the stew texture and helps cook the ingredients; it also adds flavor to this stew. If you don’t have vegetable stock, add vegetable bouillon in water. That will give the same flavors.
- Onion: Onion sets the base for this stew. It adds a slightly sweet and savory flavor to this stew. You can use either red or white onions for this recipe. I prefer using white ones.
- Garlic: Garlic brings in the depth of flavor and warmth to this stew. It sets a tone for flavors.
- Thyme: Thyme has a beautiful, slightly citrusy aroma. Furthermore, it has an earthy, lemony, and minty flavor. You can use fresh thyme sprigs for this recipe. However, if you don’t have fresh thyme, add dried thyme.
- Avocado oil: Avocado oil is loaded with healthy fats and other benefits. It is easy to find and an excellent choice for cooking. However, you can use olive oil for this recipe as well.
- Salt: A dash of salt balances out the flavors of this stew.
How to make celery root white bean stew?
Making celery root white bean stew is effortless. It is a one-pan dish so that you can make it in no time and without clutter. Here is how you can make this stew:
Step 1: Start by heating avocado oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add onions and sauté them until they are tender. Add garlic and thyme and give them a minute as well.
Step 2: Next, add celery root, diced potatoes, and cooked white beans. Mix well, so everything is well combined.
Step 3: Pour in vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 25 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Season with salt and serve.
What to serve with celery root white bean stew?
You can serve this rich and delicious stew as a soup and enjoy it without any side. However, you can also make it a part of a wholesome meal by serving it with a number of side dishes. For instance,
- Bread: You can serve it with garlic bread or flatbread.
- Corn muffins: You can serve it with corn muffins as well.
- Rice: This stew also goes well with quinoa, white rice, or cauliflower rice.
- Salad: Lastly, you can serve it with a fresh green salad as well. The freshness of the vegetables will go very well with the warmth of this stew.
How to store celery root white bean stew?
This stew is very convenient because it is super easy to store. You can make it in advance or in large batches and store it for later. Moreover, you can place the leftover stew in an airtight container and refrigerate it, and it will last for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze the leftover stew for up to 3 months. Reheat it in the saucepan over the stove and serve.
Other Vegan Stews To Prepare
- White Bean Stew
- Jamaica Stew Peas
- White Yam Stew
- Vegan Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
- Lentil Stew
- Vegan Chickpea Stew
- Black Bean Butternut Squash Stew
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 235 kcal / 982 kJ
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Carbs: 43.4 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 31 min
- Ready in: 46 min
- For: 4 Servings
- In a large saucepan, add avocado oil and place it on medium heat.
- Once the oil heats up, add chopped onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they turn translucent.
- Add minced garlic and thyme sprig and let it cook until they are fragrant.
- Add celery root, diced potatoes, and cooked white beans. Mix well, so everything is well combined.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 25 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Season with salt and serve.