FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I recently made Chinese almond cookies and decided it was time to make my own Graham crackers that were gluten-free and vegan.
I decided to use simple ingredients that I had on hand and after some searching online I decided I wanted a simple recipe that will be the base of many recipes to come including, S’mores, ice-box cake, Graham cracker crumbs, gluten-free Graham cracker crust.
Graham Cracker History
Graham cracker is an American cookie, it is one of America’s oldest snack food, that is typically sweetened with honey, sugar, and cinnamon. They were invented in the early 1800s by a Presbyterian minister, his name was Sylvester Graham.
Reverend Graham’s crackers were made with unbleached flour with bran and wheat germ added. They weren’t even mildly sweetened and nothing like the modern day version. Check out more on the hilarious history of Graham crackers here.
Graham Cracker Ingredients
- All-Purpose gluten-free flour – I used Knusteaz brand and the texture was just right.
- Cornstarch – I used non-GMO cornstarch for a light texture. You can substitute with arrowroot, potato or tapioca starch.
- Brown Sugar – I used Sugar In the raw brand. You can substitute with coconut sugar.
- Baking powder – I used non-aluminum baking powder.
- Cinnamon – You can substitute with ground coriander.
- Salt. – I used Himalayan pink salt.
- Vegan Butter – I used Earth Balance butter.
- Maple Syrup – You can substitute with sorghum molasses, molasses or agave.
Are Graham Crackers Vegan?
Not all store-bought Graham cracker brands are vegan, some contain honey and dairy ingredients. Check labels to make sure they are vegan. They can be purchased in most supermarkets or online.
Are Graham Crackers Gluten-Free?
Do Graham crackers have gluten? Yes, most brands do but there are a few brands that are gluten-free on the market. They can be purchased in Health Food Stores or online on Amazon.
How To Make Gluten-Free Vegan Graham Crackers?
Making homemade Graham crackers is so easy, the ingredients are easily recognizable and aren’t as processed as store bought. You can’t beat the fresh baked smell and taste of your homemade crackers.
Preheat oven 325 degrees F. In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Add vegan butter and cut into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks just like bread crumbs.
Add maple syrup, water, vanilla and form into a dough ball. Roll dough out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to 1/8 of an inch thickness. (Make sure to roll it thin enough for a crisp Graham cracker.)
Score dough using a pizza cutter for rectangular shape and prick the dough with a chopstick or fork.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until edges are turning golden brown and crackers or hardening.
Cut the prescore lines with a knife, allow to crackers to cool for 5 minutes then carefully break along the scored lines and transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.
Other Gluten-Free Snacks To Try
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- For: 9 Servings
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F. In a large bowl combine all-purpose gluten-free flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl, mix well.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add maple syrup, water, vanilla, and form dough into a ball.
- Roll dough out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to 1/8 of an inch thickness. (Make sure to roll it thin enough for a crisp Graham cracker.)
- Score dough using a pizza cutter for rectangular shape and prick the dough with a chopstick or fork. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until edges are turning golden brown and crackers or hardening.
- Cut the prescore lines with a knife, allow to crackers to cool for 5 minutes then carefully break along the scored lines and transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.