Coconut whipped cream has become a staple in culinary art, offering a delicious and dairy-free alternative to traditional whipped cream. It’s crafted using a blend of coconut milk, a choice of sweetener, and optional flavorings to enhance its taste.
This versatile topping is incredibly easy to create, requiring nothing more than a good-quality can of full-fat coconut milk as a starting point. Its simplicity belies the exceptional taste and texture it adds to many desserts.
The process is straightforward: selecting an unsweetened coconut cream is ideal for achieving the rich and airy consistency desired for a perfect vegan whipped topping. However, if coconut cream is out of reach, full-fat coconut milk can suffice.
The quality of the coconut milk is pivotal; brands such as Thai Kitchen, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods 365, Native Forests, and Goldenstar are highly recommended in the United States for their superior fat content. A useful tip for those picking out coconut milk in-store is to give the can a shake; a more liquid sound may indicate a lower cream content, which is less desirable for whipping.
Creating Coconut Whipped Cream
Before beginning the preparation, ensure both the mixing bowl and beaters are chilled in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Utilize full-fat coconut milk or cream that has been refrigerated for a minimum of eight hours without being shaken.
- Carefully open the cans and separate the solid coconut cream from the liquid.
- Reserve the liquid for later use such as in smoothies, stews, or curries.
- Transfer the coconut cream to the chilled mixing bowl.
- With the handheld mixer using the cool beaters, whip the cream until it becomes smooth and reaches peak consistency, roughly two minutes.
- Incorporate powdered sugar and vanilla into the mix, continuing to whip for another minute.
- For additional sweetness: Taste and add more sweetener if desired.
- To increase thickness: Incrementally mix in additional powdered sugar.
Serve this coconut whipped cream with a warming beverage such as a Hot Carob Drink.
Other Vegan Desserts To Try:
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 106 kcal / 443 kJ
- Fat: 10 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Carbs: 4 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- For: 10 Servings
- Place 2 cans of unopened coconut milk in the refrigerator for 8 hours or preferably overnight. One hour before making your coconut whipped cream, place the mixing bowl and the beaters for your mixer in the refrigerator.
- Remove the cans from the refrigerator and carefully open the cans, making sure you aren't shaking the cans. Scoop out the coconut cream into the chilled bowl and save the remaining liquid for making smoothies, curries and sauces.
- Attach the beaters to the mixer and whip the coconut cream until soft and fluffy with peaks, for about 2 minutes. Stir in sugar and vanilla and beat for another minute. Serve immediately or store in a closed container in the refrigerator for about 5 days.