Instant pot cabbage soup is vegan, easy to make, quick, and loaded with detox and other health benefits. Made from fresh vegetables like cabbage, celery, carrots, and spices, this soup is tasteful and nutrient-rich. If you love low calories recipes that promote your healthy diet and lifestyle, this instant pot cabbage soup will work wonders for you.
Why make Instant Pot Cabbage Soup?
There are so many reasons you should be trying this instant pot cabbage soup recipe. These are:
- First and foremost, this soup is super easy to make. Although you can make it on the stovetop as well instant pot really cuts your work by half. It makes this sup quick to make, convenient and tasteful as well.
- This soup is loaded with healthy ingredients. From vegetables to herbs, every ingredient serves a purpose and offers immense health benefits.
- The soup is very delicious. The use of herbs and bouillon ensures you get tons of flavor. As a result, this soup is not any ordinary soup. The flavors will engage you, and you will keep coming for more.
- You can add more ingredients to make it even more wholesome. Thus, you can customize it according to your liking. Add more spices or leafy greens and enjoy the soup.
- Lastly, this soup works wonders for your health and body. Especially if you are looking for something that will help in maintaining your weight. This soup has cabbage and celery, which together act as a detoxifying agent. This soup is a detox soup and thus also helps in weight loss. That’s because it is low in calories and rich in nutrients from vegetables. It is an amazing soup, and you can make it a part of your balanced diet.
The thing about this soup is that you can make it using simple ingredients, which are usually always available in every vegan kitchen pantry. It is economical and tasteful as well. Plus, you can adjust the ingredients according to availability. Here is what you will need to make instant pot cabbage soup:
- Cabbage: Cabbage is the main ingredient for this soup. Cabbage has many health benefits. It has high water content. It is also rich in vitamin C and other minerals. Cabbage usually comes in two colors, i.e. Green and red. For this recipe, green cabbage is the best choice. You can easily get it from any grocery store or farmers’ market. When buying cabbage, make sure the leaves have a fresh color. Don’t choose a cabbage with brown patches or discoloration. See How To Cut A Cabbage
- Avocado oil: Avocado oil is loaded with health benefits. If you don’t have avocado oil, use olive oil. It is also loaded with healthy fats. If you don’t have either, use canola or any vegetable oil.
- Onion: Onion has a slightly sweet yet savory flavor. You can use yellow, white, or red onion for this recipe. I prefer white onion since it has a slight sweetness.
- Garlic: It builds up the intense and savory flavor that shines in the soup’s flavor.
- Celery: Celery is also a very nutrient-rich vegetable. When cooked, it offers a salty and slightly tart flavor. Its distinct flavor makes the soup very tasteful.
- Green onions: Green onions offer a distant, sharp, and savory flavor to this soup.
- Carrot: Carrot is a soup that is a pleasant ingredient. It not only adds nutrients but also gives the soup a bright color.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme has a lemony, earthy, and minty flavor. If you don’t have fresh thyme, you cause dried thyme as well.
- Rosemary: Rosemary has a woodsy, peppery, and lemony flavor.
- Italian seasoning: Italian seasoning is a mixture of dried herbs that add not only flavor but aroma to this soup.
- Bouillon cubes: Adding vegetarian bouillon cubes will make this soup tasteful. These bouillons are made from vegetable stock, therefore, offer tons of flavor.
- Cayenne pepper: You will love a bit of heat in the soup, thanks to cayenne pepper. If you don’t have cayenne pepper, you can add paprika as well. Moreover, if you love spice and heat, add a scotch bonnet.
- Salt: Salt balances out the flavors and makes the soup perfect.
How to make Instant Pot Cabbage Soup?
Making instant pot cabbage soup is super easy. Thanks to the instant pot, the cooking time is reduced to half. As a result, you can make it effortlessly whenever you like! Here is how you can make this simple and tasteful soup:
Step 1: first of all, start the instant pot and select the sauté mode. Add avocado oil and let it heat up.
Step 2: Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions and cook for about 2 minutes or until they turn translucent and are tender. Stir the onions after intervals so that they are cooked equally.
Step 3: Next, add garlic, green onions, and celery. Cook for a minute or two until the vegetables begin to change color.
Step 4: Add carrot, cabbage, fresh thyme sprig, fresh rosemary sprig, and Italian seasoning. Mix everything.
Step 5: Now, Pour in water, and add vegan bouillons and cayenne pepper. Mix well so that the bouillons melt in the water.
Step 6: Press cancel. Carefully seal the instant pot tightly with the lid and lock it in place.
Step 7: Cook the ingredients at high pressure for 10 minutes.
Step 8: Once the time is up, naturally release the pressure. Take the lid off, taste the soup, and season it with salt and black pepper. Serve.
Although this cabbage soup recipe ticks all the boxes related to flavors and ingredients, you can make it more wholesome y adding a few extra ingredients. These Rae:
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes have a unique flavor. They are a blend of sweet and tart. Apart from the flavor, tomatoes also add a beautiful bright red color to the soup. Tomatoes are a good addition to your soup if you want it to be richer in flavors.
- Leafy greens: Missing your leafy greens? No problem! You can always add some to your cabbage soup and make it even healthier. Add kale leaves of spinach leaves in the end and let it simmer for a minute or two until the leaves wither. These not just add flavor but tones of nutrients making your soup nutrient-rich.
- Beans: Beans are rich in protein and a great addition to any soup. They make your soup more wholesome and fulfill the need for protein. You can add white beans, red kidney beans or even chickpea to this soup.
- Oats: If you want your soup to have a thick consistency, here is a healthy hack for you! Add ground oats and cook them for a minute or two. Oats will help your soup thicken up and offers fiber as well. It’s a win-win situation, isn’t it?
- Noodles: Adding whole wheat or rice noodles to this soup also makes it very wholesome and filling. Again, it makes the soup more tasteful and heartwarming.
How to store Instant Pot Cabbage Soup?
Store the leftover soup for up to 3 days by placing it in an airtight container and refrigerating. Because it is very easy to make, I recommend you don’t freeze the leftover soup. Make fresh soup every time for maximum health benefits.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Cabbage Soup?
You can enjoy this soup without any side dish, and it will be very filling and tasteful. However, you can also serve it alongside a few sides like a piece of garlic bread or bread rolls. It also goes well with fried crispy tofu.
Other Vegan Cabbage Recipes
- Vegan Cabbage Dumplings In Gravy
- Napa Cabbage Salad
- Vegan Cabbage Casserole
- Southern Fried Cabbage
- Curry Cabbage
- Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Jamaican Steamed Cabbage
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 77 kcal / 322 kJ
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbs: 15 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- For: 4 Servings
- 1 small cabbage, or 1/2 of a large one
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 1-2 vegan bouillon cubes, I used 2
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 sprig of rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- Select the sauté mode of an instant pot and add avocado oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions and cook for about 2 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add garlic, green onions, and celery. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add carrot, cabbage, fresh thyme sprig, fresh rosemary sprig, and Italian seasoning. Stir.
- Pour in water, and add vegan bouillons and cayenne pepper.
- Press cancel. Seal the instant pot tightly with a lid and lock it in place.
- Now pressure cook at “high pressure” for about 10 minutes.
- Once the time is up, naturally release the pressure, about 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off, season with salt and pepper to taste