While countless skincare products are available on the market today, many people are turning to natural supplements for healthy skin.
Having healthy, glowing skin is a goal for many individuals, and the best approach is to nourish and protect your skin from within.
With a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and botanical extracts known for their skin-loving properties, these supplements offer a holistic approach to skincare.
In this article, we will explore some of the top natural food supplements for healthy skin and discuss how they enhance your complexion’s vitality and radiance.
What Affects Skin Health?
Besides the natural supplements that we’ll be looking at shortly, it’s essential first to understand the various factors that can affect the health of your skin.
This can help you develop effective skin care routines that can allow various nutrients to penetrate the skin and perform their function effectively.
Here are some of the key factors that significantly impact skin health:
As we age, our skin undergoes various changes due to natural processes such as decreased collagen production and slower cell turnover.
These changes contribute to wrinkles, sagging, and dryness.
It becomes imperative to adapt skincare routines with age-appropriate products and practices like using moisturizers, sunscreen, and anti-aging treatments.
2. Environmental Factors
Environmental elements play a significant role in determining skin health.
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can lead to premature aging signs like fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, and even increase the risk of developing skin cancer.
Protecting your skin from UV radiation through sunscreen application (SPF 30 or higher), seeking shade during peak hours, wearing protective clothing, and using sunglasses can greatly minimize sun damage.
Other environmental factors, such as pollution levels or harsh weather conditions, can also cause inflammation and damage the skin’s protective barrier.
3. Diet and Nutrition
The saying “you are what you eat” holds true when it comes to maintaining healthy skin too.
A balanced diet rich in vitamins (especially vitamins C & E), minerals (like zinc & selenium), antioxidants (found in fruits and vegetables), and omega-3 fatty acids promotes radiant-looking skin by protecting against free radicals that can damage cells.
4. Lifestyle Habits
Certain lifestyle choices can impact your skin health significantly:
- Smoking: Smoking reduces blood flow to the small vessels in your outermost layer of skin, leading to a dull complexion and premature aging signs like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Alcohol consumption: Excessive alcohol intake can dehydrate your body and skin, causing dryness.
- Lack of sleep: Poor sleep quality or insufficient sleep leads to increased cortisol levels, which can result in inflammation, reduced collagen production, and compromised skin barrier function.
Chronic stress can affect your overall health, including that of your skin. This is because high-stress levels trigger the release of hormones like cortisol, which has been shown to increase oil production on the skin. This can cause acne breakouts or exacerbate conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Managing stress through relaxation techniques like meditation, exercise, or pursuing hobbies can help maintain healthy skin.
Proper hydration plays a vital role in maintaining healthy-looking skin from within. Dehydration can cause dryness, flakiness, irritation, and impaired barrier function, which may lead to other issues like acne or eczema.
Ensure you drink enough water daily and consider using a moisturizer suitable for your skin type to lock in moisture.
Common Natural Supplements for Healthy Skin:
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fats that cannot be produced by our bodies naturally; hence we need to obtain them through dietary sources or supplements.
The three main types of omega-3s include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). While EPA and DHA primarily come from animal sources, ALA is found in plant-based sources such as flaxseed or chia seeds.
Omega 3 fatty acids offer numerous health benefits, including promoting a healthy cardiovascular system, enhancing cognitive health, and promoting healthy skin.
Here is how omega-3 fatty acids can boost skin health:
- Moisturizes and Nourishes: Omega-3s help maintain the integrity of the cell membrane in your skin, allowing it to retain moisture effectively. This results in improved hydration levels and reduced dryness or flakiness.
- Reduces Inflammation: Inflammatory skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and eczema can be distressing. However, studies suggest that omega-3s possess anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate symptoms associated with these conditions by reducing inflammation markers.
- Boosts Collagen Production: Collagen is a vital protein responsible for maintaining the elasticity and firmness of your skin. Omega-3 fatty acids promote collagen production, thereby improving skin resilience, reducing fine lines, and preventing premature aging.
- Protects Against Sun Damage: While sunscreen is crucial for shielding our skin against harmful UV rays, omega-3 fatty acids offer an additional line of defense against sun damage. Research suggests that these healthy fats have photoprotective effects, which reduce inflammation caused by excessive exposure to sunlight while minimizing DNA damage – ultimately helping prevent premature aging signs like wrinkles or age spots.
Food sources: Chis seeds, flax seeds, Brussel sprouts, walnuts, hemp seeds, and seaweed.
2. Vitamin C
Renowned for its numerous health benefits, this essential nutrient boosts our immune system and plays a crucial role in maintaining youthful and vibrant skin.
Here are some incredible benefits of vitamin C as a natural supplement for skin health.
- Powerful Antioxidant Properties: Vitamin C is an antioxidant powerhouse that protects the skin from free radicals caused by environmental factors like pollution, UV rays, and stress. These harmful molecules can damage collagen fibers leading to premature aging signs such as wrinkles and fine lines.
- Boosts Collagen Synthesis: As mentioned above, collagen is a protein responsible for maintaining skin elasticity and firmness. However, collagen production naturally declines as we age, resulting in sagging or dull-looking skin. Vitamin C works by stimulating the formation of new collagen fibers. Regular intake of vitamin C supplements can enhance overall collagen levels, helping you maintain plump and youthful-looking skin.
- Evens Out Skin Tone: Vitamin C possesses natural brightening properties that can help fade dark spots, hyperpigmentation, sun spots, or acne scars over time. This wonder nutrient inhibits melanin production (the pigment responsible for skin coloration) by suppressing tyrosinase activity—a key enzyme involved in melanin synthesis—resulting in a more even-toned complexion.
Food sources: Citrus fruits (oranges, lemon, grapefruit), cherries, strawberries, tomatoes, and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage).
3. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that plays a crucial role in maintaining good health.
Here is how vitamin E can improve the health and appearance of your skin.
- Powerful Antioxidant: As mentioned earlier, vitamin E is an effective antioxidant that fights against free radicals. By neutralizing these damaging molecules, it helps prevent collagen breakdown – the main structural protein responsible for maintaining firmness and elasticity in your skin.
- Reduces Inflammation: Vitamin E possesses anti-inflammatory properties that assist in calming irritated or inflamed skin in acne or eczema. Regular application of vitamin E oil can soothe redness and alleviate discomfort associated with these ailments.
- Promotes Wound Healing: Due to its ability to stimulate blood circulation and cell regeneration, vitamin E aids in speeding up wound healing processes on the skin’s surface.
- Sun Damage Protection: While not a substitute for sunscreen, studies have shown that when applied topically before sun exposure, vitamin E can provide some protection against UV-induced damage.
Food sources: Nuts and seeds!
Probiotics are natural supplements that have gained popularity in recent years, not only for their potential benefits in promoting gut health but also for their positive effects on the skin.
These friendly bacteria can be found in various forms, such as capsules, powders, or even incorporated into skincare products like creams and serums.
So how do probiotics work to improve the skin?
- Balancing the skin microbiome: Probiotics help restore a healthy balance of bacteria on the skin’s surface by inhibiting harmful bacterial growth. This helps reduce inflammation and conditions like acne and eczema.
- Strengthening the skin barrier: Our skin acts as a protective barrier against external aggressors. Probiotics play a significant role in strengthening this barrier by enhancing its function and preventing moisture loss. As a result, it promotes smoother and more hydrated skin.
- Soothing inflammation: Probiotics have anti-inflammatory properties that can calm irritated or inflamed skin conditions caused by pollution, stress, or harsh skincare products.
- Enhancing wound healing: Studies suggest that certain probiotic strains accelerate wound healing processes due to their ability to promote cell regeneration and minimize scar formation.
- Protecting against premature ageing: By reducing oxidative stress, which contributes to early ageing signs like wrinkles and age spots, probiotics can aid in preserving youthful-looking skin.
Food sources: Yogurt (preferably unsweetened); kefir; sauerkraut; kimchi.
Zinc for Acne-Prone Skin:
Zinc is an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in various bodily functions. It helps support the immune system, promotes wound healing, and aids in DNA synthesis.
When it comes to skincare, zinc offers several benefits that make it an excellent option for those with acne-prone skin.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Acne is primarily caused by inflammation in the skin’s pores. Zinc possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce redness and swelling associated with pimples.
- Oil regulation: Excess oil production contributes to clogged pores and the formation of acne. Zinc helps regulate sebum production, keeping your skin’s oil levels balanced and preventing breakouts.
- Antibacterial effects: Acne-causing bacteria thrive in a low-oxygen environment, such as clogged pores. Zinc has antimicrobial properties that help kill these bacteria, reducing the likelihood of new blemishes forming.
- Healing properties: Zinc aids in wound healing by promoting cell regeneration and collagen synthesis. This means it can help fade post-acne marks or scars faster while preventing further skin damage.
How to Use Zinc for Skin:
1. Topical treatments
Look for over-the-counter topical creams or serums containing zinc oxide or zinc pyrithione as active ingredients specifically formulated for treating acne-prone skin.
These products are easily absorbed into the skin and provide targeted benefits without causing irritation.
2. Dietary sources
You can also increase your intake of foods rich in zinc to support healthy skin from within.
Some zinc-rich foods include pumpkin seeds, hemp, lentils, chickpeas, sesame seeds, and squash seeds.
For oral supplementation, consult a healthcare professional to determine if you should consider zinc supplements.
Turmeric for Brightening Dull Skin:
Turmeric is a powerful spice that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine for its numerous health benefits, including brightening the skin.
Here is how turmeric can help brighten dull complexion:
- Powerful Antioxidant Properties: Turmeric contains curcumin, an active compound that neutralizes free radicals responsible for skin damage and aging. By combating oxidative stress, it helps brighten the complexion by reducing dark spots and pigmentation.
- Reduces Dark Spots: Turmeric inhibits the production of melanin, which causes dark spots on the skin. Regular use can fade existing dark spots and prevent new ones from forming.
- Evens Skin Tone: Its natural bleaching properties help even out uneven skin tone caused by sun damage or hormonal changes.
How to Use Turmeric for Brightening Complexion:
Turmeric is useful as both a supplement and as a topical treatment. There are quite a few ways that you can use to include turmeric into your routine.
For the best results, you can take turmeric internally to receive the benefits from the inside out. Some forms you can use are:
Capsules or Tablets:
One of the most widely available forms is turmeric capsules or pills.
These contain powdered turmeric or standardized extracts with concentrated amounts of curcumin.
The advantage of capsules is their convenience and precise dosage control.
Typically, manufacturers recommend taking 500-2000 mg per day spread across multiple doses for optimal absorption.
Look for brands that contain black pepper. Black pepper contains piperine, which has been shown to enhance the absorption of turmeric.
Turmeric powders offer versatility as they can be added to various recipes and beverages.
However, it’s important to note that regular culinary turmeric powder may not provide sufficient curcumin levels compared to concentrated extracts specifically made for supplementation.
Liquid extracts are popular due to their quick absorption into the bloodstream compared to other forms.
They often come in dropper bottles allowing precise dosage control.
Mix the recommended number of drops in water or juice before consuming according to package instructions.
Turmeric Face Mask Recipe:
The positive effects of turmeric can also be seen when it used in masks. There are a multitude of ingredients you can experiment with, but here is one of my favorites:
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- Mix the ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the mask evenly onto your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off gently with warm water
- Pat dry and apply a moisturizer
More About Skincare:
Incorporating natural food supplements into your daily routine can greatly benefit the health and appearance of your skin.
These supplements provide essential nutrients and antioxidants that nourish the skin from within, promoting a youthful and radiant complexion.
By choosing food sources over synthetic skincare products, you not only improve the overall health of your body but also contribute to a more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families. Thank you!
Also, please leave a star rating! ;-)