FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
My friend Phyllis inspired me to make this dish, who shared with me her love for stuffed eggplant.
Her recipe that she shared with me was a vegetarian stuffed eggplant, it called for rice and feta cheese.
I loved making ratatouille so I decided to make a similar filling minus the zucchini.
The result was simply delicious, I also topped with vegan shredded cheese because I had some on hand. But the dish tastes perfectly fine without it.
How To Make Vegan Stuffed Eggplant?
To make stuffed eggplant, cut eggplants in half lengthwise.
- Carve out the flesh of the eggplants using a melon ball peeler, knife or a spoon, leaving about 1/2 inch flesh on all sides of the eggplant shell.
- Place the eggplant shells on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high, add onion and saute until onion is soft, about 3 minutes add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and reserved eggplant flesh. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- Stir in the basil, sugar, and salt. Spoon cooked vegetables into prebaked eggplant shells. Top with vegan cheese shreds and or vegan parmesan. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Other Recipes To Try
Join our new Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 185 kcal / 773 kJ
- 10 g
- 3 g
- 23 g
- 15 min
- 50 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 5 min
- 2 medium eggplants, or 1 large, cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, leaves chopped (extra for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds, optional
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan, optional
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Cut eggplant in half, scoop out the flesh of the eggplant, using melon ball peeler, spoon or a knife, leaving about half an inch shell.
- Bake the eggplant shells, cut side facing up on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil on in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add onions and garlic, saute until soft. Add tomatoes, reserved eggplant flesh and cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Stir in seasonings. Spoon vegetables into eggplant shells, top with shredded vegan cheese and or parmesan. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped basil and serve with a big salad!