An amazing version of the Southern classic Biscuits and Gravy. This Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuits And Gravy with fluffy vegan and gluten-free ‘buttermilk’ biscuits topped with homemade sausage gravy make the perfect breakfast or brunch menu!
Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuits And Gravy recipes are so easy to make and it is so worth it, the perfect comfort breakfast or brunch recipe idea that would go well with my Scrambled Tofu and my Hummingbird Muffins.
Here in the South, the biscuit and gravy recipe is popular for breakfast and I wanted to create a vegan and gluten-free version that tastes amazing after several attempts.
I have finally nailed the perfect recipe that will certainly please even the pickiest eater, knowing that it is not from a can and it is homemade, vegan, and gluten-free.
How To Make Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuits And Gravy?
I used a blend of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour and Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour to get the perfect texture.
To make the biscuits, I first prepared the vegan buttermilk with Unsweetened Soymilk and lemon juice and set aside, I combined, the dry ingredients, then I cut in the non-dairy butter.
I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread but you can use whatever non-dairy butter you prefer or coconut oil. Next, I added the buttermilk to form a dough, then I rolled the dough out, cut it with a biscuit cutter, and bake them.
Note: Use the same flour I used because I can’t guarantee the same results. Not all gluten-free flours are created equal.
To make the gravy:
For the sausage you can use 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage, Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground or Sausage, crumbled Marinated Tofu, Oatmeal Burger.
I added onions, garlic, seasonings, gluten-free flour, and unsweetened soymilk to make a delicious homestyle gravy.
Also, Try My Delicious Pumpkin Biscuits and Teff And Coconut Biscuits.
If you enjoyed this Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuits And Gravy and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Courses: Breakfast, Main Course, Side Dish
- Cuisines: American, Soul Food, Southern
- Energy: 278 kcal / 1162 kJ
- Fat: 15 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 31 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- For: 8 servings
For The Biscuits
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, I used unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups gluten-free flour, I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxseeds ground
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter, I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread
For The Gravy
- 1/4 cup olive
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup gluten-free vegan sausage, (*see notes)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To Make The Biscuits
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with lightly oiled parchment paper and set aside. Prepare vegan buttermilk, in a medium bowl, mix soymilk and lemon juice and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix gluten-free flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, flaxseed, and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir until combined and a dough is formed.
- Transfer on to a sheet of parchment paper and cover with a second sheet, roll dough to about 1-inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
To Make The Gravy
- Heat oil to the skillet on medium, add gluten-free vegan sausage and cook until brown, about 6 minutes turning frequently, mash with a fork. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in gluten-free flour and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and rubbed sage.
- Stir in non-dairy milk and Bragg's liquid until a smooth gravy is formed, you might need to use a whisk.Season with salt to taste.
- Serve biscuits topped with gravy.
*For the sausage you can use 1/2 cup of gluten-free vegan sausage, Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground or Sausage, crumbled Marinated Tofu, Oatmeal Burger.
My biscuit dough seemed too wet and I was concerned, they weren’t holding a shape and I could’t roll them or cut them out, but they came out so incredibly delicious with a lovely texture and not too dense at all. Thanks for this recipe! Love it!
Wow! Healthy biscuits! Now that’s something I would have to try. Thanks for sharing this.
These were delicious! I had them with sea salt honey. Yum!
Sabrina, I’m so excited you enjoyed it. Thank you.
I made the biscuits last week and they are delicious! Just may be my go to recipe for biscuits!
That’s awesome Charlene, I’m so happy you enjoyed them. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Gotta do this for breakfast!
Awesome, hope you enjoy it!