It is blueberry season here in Florida and I am eating some of the most delicious blueberries that I have ever tasted. Here in North central Florida, we have several blueberry farms where we get to purchase blueberries directly or they sell them at the weekly farmers market. The ones we got were so good we bought 3 plants to grow. I'm not sure if it's the Florida sun or soil but they are exceptionally tasty. I have been eating blueberries on their own, in smoothies, cakes, muffins and I have frozen for use later.
I decided to share with you one of the muffins that I have been enjoying this season. It's gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free, oil free and moist and absolutely out of this world. Daevyd tried one and couldn't wait for me to finish taking photos. He kept saying, "are you done yet?" over and over again. He even helped me so I could hurry up and be done. Honestly,I had to restrain myself from eating too many. The good thing is all I had all day was water and a green smoothie, so I didn't feel bad after all.
Blueberry and lemon pairs well together. I also added a banana to ensure I get a very moist muffin since I didn't add oil and it worked perfectly. The flavor of the banana was very subtle due to the more prominent lemon flavor.
Blueberries have beneficial antioxidants and are great for preventing free radical damage to our cells, preventing cancer and heart disease. They are known to be one of the world's healthiest foods often called a 'superfood.' They are low in calorie, only 85 grams in 1 cup.
Have you been enjoying fresh blueberries where you live? What yummy recipes are you making? I would love to hear from you, please comment below!
- 10 min
- 25 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin with 12 muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flaxseed and water, set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix oat flour, almond meal, rolled oats, baking powder and salt.
- Add maple syrup, lemon juice, zest, vanilla and mashed banana to flax mixture.
- Combine wet mixture with dry ingredients, stir until fully combined. Gently fold blueberries into batter. Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean.