What is Curry Powder Made Of?
I create curry recipes that have ingredients that most readers can find anywhere in the world so there is little frustration on the part of the reader and we can get the same results and taste with their final dish.
Here is my reasoning, curry powders are interpretations of the cooks and are usually based on the ingredients that are popular in the location where that cook lives.
Various types of curries can be found all over the world, places like India, Thailand, Jamaica, Japan, China, Guyana, Trinidad have all unique curry dishes.
The word ‘curry’ originates from the Tamil word Kari which means, ” sauce or relish for rice” and it is an anglicization of the Tamil word used to interpret the variety of dishes from Southeastern Asian countries.
For instance, Thai curries are usually made from a curry paste which includes fresh herbs such as, galangal, lemongrass, kefir lime leaves and chilis cooked in coconut milk.
Thai curries place more emphasis on fresh herbs that are popular in that region. When I first saw galangal at my local Asian supermarket many years ago,
I was so intrigued by it because it looked a lot like ginger which we used in our Jamaican curries.
However, Indian curries tend to use more dry spices, where these dry spices were individually added while cooking. The concept of using a pre-ground dry spice blend referred to as ‘curry powder’ was first started by the British around the 17th Century.
The spice blend included a mix of turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, chilis and more. Note that the turmeric gives curry powder its yellow color.
This blend differs from country to country and even within the country, there are lots of different variations.
How To Make Instant Pot Vegan Jackfruit with Potato Curry
I added the jackfruit to my curry because it has a great meatlike texture similar to chicken.
So for my Instant Pot Vegan Jackfruit with Potato Curry recipe,
I am going to break the rule and include Italian seasoning in my recipe and you are going to just love the outcome. So amazing and so flavorful.
I also added Jamaican style gluten-free dumplings using this gluten-free flour
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that resembles breadfruit. It is sold fresh, canned or frozen in West Indian, Asian, or Latino stores.
The ripe fruit is yellow, sweet and eaten as a fruit. The green fruit has white flesh and it is cooked as a vegetable.
Check out my other amazing Instant Pot Recipes:
- Lentil Soup
- Jamaican Rice And Peas
- Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Jamaica Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
Make sure to use green jackfruit that is in water and not ripe jackfruit that is sweetened. You can find green jackfruit in most health food stores,
in Trader Joe’s and Asian supermarkets. If you make the curry and it is too thin, you can turn the Instant pot off then set on saute and cook stirring until thick enough.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
Watch Video Instant Pot Jack Fruit With Potato Curry
- Energy: 267 kcal / 1116 kJ
- Fat: 17 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 27 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- For: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, mince
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 20 ounce can green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 15 ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or 2 cubes vegetable bouillon plus water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, or 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 1 batch dumpling (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped (or parsley)
- salt, to taste
- Plug in your Instant Pot and press saute mode button. Add oil, once heated add dry spices, curry powder, paprika, cumin, turmeric, thyme and cook for a minute stirring constantly.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, spring onion and cook until for 2 minutes or until onions are soft. Add jackfruit, potato, carrots and stir to coat.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth or bouillon plus water, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, and dumplings stir.
- Close Instant Pot lid and press manual mode for 10 minutes. When finished, allow Instant Pot to natural release for 10 minutes. Carefully release the knob to release the remaining pressure. Remove lid, stir in cilantro leaves, crush some of the potatoes to thicken curry and check seasonings.
Jamaican Style Dumplings
- To prepare dumplings, combine flour and salt in a medium bowl, add water and mix to combine. Using hand knead dough to form a smooth ball. Take small pieces of dough and roll between palms of your hand to form cylindrical shapes or balls and drop on top of the curry.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!