This is amazing for a vegan version, we are going to use 100% vegan ingredients to make deliciously fluffy, smooth, and creamy mashed potatoes.
Vegan garlic mashed potatoes are delicious, creamy, and garlicky. The best thing is they are super easy to make. Thanks to the instant pot, you can make these vegan mashed potatoes in no more than 10 minutes. This recipe is easy, quick, and delivers amazing flavors.
What are vegan mashed potatoes?
Traditional mashed potatoes are made using dairy milk and butter. They are rich, creamy, and a must with almost every meal like steaks, etc.; because of the use of dairy products, people on a vegan diet can’t enjoy the creaminess of traditional mashed potatoes. But this doesn’t have to be this way!
So vegan mashed potatoes are a vegan version of the traditional recipe. This dish is healthy, easy to make, and flavorsome. Above all, it is made with 100% vegan ingredients. As a result, it is a perfect dish you can incorporate into your meal.
Different ways of making mashed potatoes
Here are several ways you can make mashed potatoes. These ways are as follows:
- Stovetop: The most common way of making mashed potatoes at home is n a stovetop. It is an easy way, but the thing about it is that this conventional way takes a lot of time. Furthermore, you may have to drain excess liquid, so it requires a lot of equipment.
- Pressure cooker: Most people also make mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker. It is comparatively a fast way of cooking potatoes. However, you have to keep an eye on the time of pressure.
- Instant pot: Another more convenient way of making mashed potatoes is in the instant pot. It is super quick. It takes no more than 5 minutes to cook mashed potatoes in the instant pot. Furthermore, it is a one-pot dish, so no more cleaning equipment.
What potatoes are best for mashed potatoes?
There are so many different types of potatoes that if you go out to try every single type, it would probably take years. Every type has its unique flavor and texture. And therefore, they serve a different purpose. So, if you are planning on making mashed potatoes, not every potato type will work. If you are wondering what potatoes are perfect for mashed potatoes, here are a few types that are commonly available and are perfect for the purpose:
- Yukon gold potatoes: These potatoes are known for their light gold hue, buttery flavor, and creamy texture. They have thin skin, which is super easy to peel. As a result, you can make the mashed potatoes with the skin or without the skin.
- Russet potatoes: the most commonly used and loved potato type is the russet potatoes. These are almost perfect for all potato recipes. And therefore, make perfectly creamy mashed potatoes. The secret lies in the high starch content in them. Although they have thick skin, they are easy to peel and therefore make creamy, smooth, and fluffy mashed potatoes.
- White and Red potatoes: The other widely used type for mashed potatoes is white and red potatoes. They are less in starch and are waxy. Because of the less starch content, these potatoes don’t end up as creamy as the others, but they have a delicious flavor. Their flavor lies in their skin so if you are using these, make sure you keep the skin on.
What to look for when buying potatoes for mashed potatoes?
When you are looking for potatoes for mashed potatoes, make sure you buy the ones that are firm to touch. They should have shiny skin and shouldn’t be bruised at all. Furthermore, the skin should be smooth, and the potato should be without any blemishes. Lastly, make sure there are no outgrowing sprouts coming from the potatoes. Also, avoid buying potatoes that are rubbery to touch or have wrinkled skin.
Vegan garlic mashed potatoes are super easy to make. All the ingredients are essential and readily available in your kitchen pantry:
- Potatoes: The main ingredient of this dish are potatoes. You can you any potatoes that are high in starch. Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Garlic: These mashed potatoes have a delicious garlicky and savory flavor. The flavor comes from garlic, of course.
- Vegetable broth: To cook the potatoes, we will need a liquid. You can either use water for cooking the potatoes. However, for added flavors, I prefer you use vegetable stock. You can use both Homemade or store-bought stock for this recipe.
- Non-dairy butter: To make the mashed potatoes buttery and smooth, you will need butter. Because it is a vegan recipe, we have used any non-dairy butter. You can also use olive oil instead of vegan butter. It will also result in the same creaminess.
- Vegan sour cream: vegan sour cream is creamy and has a unique, slightly sour flavor. It adds so much texture and flavor to these mashed potatoes. You can make your own .
- Vegan cream cheese: Mashed potatoes are also a very creamy dish. To increase the creaminess and to make it delicious, I have used vegan cream cheese.
- Salt: A little bit of salt brings in flavor and balances out the dishes.
How to make Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot?
Making vegan garlic mashed potatoes in an instant pot is the easiest thing you can do. Here is a detailed step by step instruction on how to make this delicious side dish:
Step 1: Start by preparing the potatoes for the mashed potatoes. For that, you first have to wash thethe potatoes and scrub them so that you get rid of the dirt. Next, peel the potatoes and cut them into equal pieces.
Step 2: Place the diced potatoes and garlic cloves in the instant pot. Pour in vegetable stock and garlic.
Step 3: Seal the lid tightly and seal the valve. Select to cook the potatoes at high pressure for about 5 minutes.
Step 4: After four minutes, switch the valve to venting. Quick-release the pressure and wait until all the steam leaves the instant pot.
Step 5: Remove the lid and add non-dairy butter, cream cheese, and sour cream.
Step 6: Mash the potatoes using a potato masher so that all the ingredients are unified.
Step 7: Season with salt and garnish with chopped chives or parsley.
Step 8: Serve immediately.
How to store vegan garlic mashed potatoes?
You can easily store vegan garlic mashed potatoes. Once they are cool, place them in an air-tight container and place them in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 2 days. You can reheat it by placing it in the microwave.
What to serve with garlic mashed potatoes?
Vegan garlic mashed potatoes go so well with a number of dishes. These are the perfect side you can serve with almost every dish. This dish is perfect for both kids and adults. Here are a few ideas on what to serve mashed potatoes with:
- Vegetables: You can serve mashed potatoes with sauteed vegetables or roasted ones. They taste so amazing.
- Bread: Believe it or not, you can serve mashed potatoes with pieces of crispy garlic bread or any other as well.
- Vegan steak: Serve mashed potatoes with vegan steak. It can be any recipe. Even with a cauliflower steak, these mashed potatoes are a perfect combination.
- Vegan Chili: You can also serve it with chili. The different textures will go very well together.
Other Vegan Instant Recipes To Prepare
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 282 kcal / 1179 kJ
- Fat: 12.3 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Carbs: 38.4 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 5 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- For: 6 Servings
- Wash the potatoes, scrub to get rid of dirt. Peel the potatoes and cut them into equal cubes.
- Place the diced potatoes and garlic in an instant pot.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Seal the instant pot with the lid tightly and seal the valve.
- Select manual cooking at high pressure and cook for about 5 minutes.
- After five minutes are up, switch the valve to venting.
- Quick-release the pressure.
- Open the lid carefully. Add non-dairy butter, cream cheese, and sour cream.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Season with salt and serve.