Vegan Southern Green Beans and Potatoes, is a flavorful version of the popular classic Southern side dish. Fresh green beans and baby potatoes cooked with onions, garlic, and smoked paprika
This Vegan Southern Green Beans and Potatoes is my new favorite dish. Traditionally green beans are cooked with bacon and potatoes but with my classic dish and served as side dish. With my version, you won't even miss the bacon. It was so delicious, I ate it alone for supper and didn't even eat the other dishes I prepared, next time I'm planning to add some coconut bacon.
Traditionally the green beans and potatoes are cooked for at least an hour but I cooked mine for less so that the greens are not mushy. The beauty of this recipe is that it will work for both fresh or frozen green beans, I haven't tried it with canned green beans but I'm sure it will be fine.
I used smoked paprika to give the bacon-like flavor but you could substitute with vegan sausage or liquid smoke.
- 232 kcal / 970 kJ
- 4 g
- 6 g
- 45 g
- 15 min
- 25 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, cut into quarters or halves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or 2 cups water plus 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy butter, (optional)
- `1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 60 seconds stirring. Stir in potatoes, paprika, Bragg liquids aminos and vegetable broth.
- Bring to boil, cover saucepan and reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add green beans and cook for 15 more minutes or until tender. Stir in butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!